* Re: [9fans] HTTP tunnelling of 9P -- taboo?
@ 2002-11-04 22:04 Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2002-11-04 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I get the impression that some people feel that http may soon be the
only protocol allowed through corporate firewalls, with companies
becoming more paranoid and implementing reverse firewalls (such as the
Great Firewall of China).

* Re: [9fans] HTTP tunnelling of 9P -- taboo?
@ 2002-11-04 21:38 a
From: a @ 2002-11-04 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the aesthetic question is easiest: good God please no! tunneling
*anything* through http is ugly, since http itself is ugly. and
taking a nice, clean, simple, powerful protocol and shoving it
into an awkward dinky protocol is always aestheticaly wrong.

technically, the issue probably isn't getting around firewalls,
but proxies. firewalls generally just allow or disallow a certain
set of ports (most, anyway). if that's indeed the issue, just run
a listener on port 80 of your server and connnect to that.

also, why would a distributed fs protocol need to be embeded in
http to be an alternative to WebDAV? why not just use 9p as is?
the drive to embed everything in http seems strange to me. is
the fact that WebDAV is a set of http "extentions" really a
selling point for most of its users? i doubt it.
ア

* Re: [9fans] HTTP tunnelling of 9P -- taboo?
@ 2002-11-04 19:02 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-04 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The number of users behind firewalls is significant enough that no
company thinking of products or services should forget about them;

@ 2002-11-04 15:44 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2002-11-04 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

To get around firewalls and provide an alternative to things
like WebDAV. What are the arguments (technical, aesthetic, etc.) against
it?