Bushnell is right. There's nothing wrong with having heavy duty optimizations. Just because you have to use them with caution doesn't mean they shouldn't be available. The problem of compiler complexity is a problem for those developing/maintaining it, not necessarily for those using it, modulo compile time and you can get some of that back by backing off the optimization level. If I had to support GCC I'ld go nuts but as long as someone else is willing to, why not? Luckily dhog doesn't have to worry as much about pulling his hair out. Having a license that encourages gobs of people to work on components of the system is nice. I wish we had such a license to find out if it is indeed the license that causes that and not some inherent attraction of the code or system. A pity that we're held hostage by a lawyer. Plan 9 held hostage - day 4232