Hello. I got plan9 running in vmware server some days ago. I ran into the same (and many other) problem as you. As I remember the problem is the virtual IDE CD-drive. Turn it off or switch it to SCSI. -Patrick Kristiansen. On 6/16/07, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote: > > Okay, I don't particularly like to drag up an old topic, but I can't > seem to find anything really helpful in the archives. > I just downloaded VMWare Server and the latest Plan 9 ISO, > and with the help of "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" I was > able to install Plan 9. However, when I try to boot the machine > from the hard drive image, nothing seems to happen after > "init: starting /bin/rc". When I try to specify root from tcp, > everything stops after I've entered the username. Now, this > last part could be simply because I have not correctly configured > my CPU/auth server; if somebody could help me figure that out, > I'd be obliged. > > So, any suggestions? I'd really prefer to boot it using my remote > fileserver for root. Please no "Just get a real computer" replies, > because I'm very short on room and currently unable to > mess with the laptop I'm using. I've tried running in qemu > under Windows, it's far from ideal. > > Thanks > > John > >