* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-15 21:25     ` john
From: john @ 2007-06-15 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thanks; that did the trick. I also found that, apparently, if I select
> root from tcp, type in fs and auth IPs and my user name, then wait for
> a very long time, I get a prompt from the auth server. The problem
> is that this takes a VERY long time. Not fun. What networking option
> did you use? I'm thinking that may be at stake?
>

> John

And by "at stake" I meant "at fault", but my mind was rather elsewhere.
Anyway, I found that through incredible patience I was able to
eventually get a username/password prompt and start rio, which
now works acceptably, considering I'm connecting to a New York
server from Hawaii. Does anyone know why it would be taking so
long to ask for authentication?

I figure I'll go ahead and put "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" into
/rc/bin/termrc, since I don't forsee any other terminals connecting
in the near future, besides perhaps some more vmware ones.
What differences could I expect to see if I was to try using a real
machine with hwaccel turned off, anyway?

Thanks so much; enjoying my new terminal :)

John

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-15 21:38         ` john
From: john @ 2007-06-15 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ah.  i see the problem.  you're in hawaii and you're fiddling with a
> computer.  the solution is obvious.  here's some code that should fix
> the probem:
>
> 	goto thebeach;
>
> - erik

I just got back, in fact. It's quite windy here, but the beach was still
very pleasant, although the water was a bit rough.
However, there's still the evenings, and since I can't go drinking
with my housemates (I'm 19) and I'm in a very small town, it's
still nice to have something to do. Also, I have to work on the
weekdays, so fiddling with Plan 9 is a good background task.
So yeah, don't get jealous or anything, because my job is writing
C# code using Visual Studio on Vista :(

For my next trick, I will try to find out how to get a better
resolution than 1024x768x16 and how to fix the bootup
problem. Grr.

John Floren

* [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-16  1:45 john
From: john @ 2007-06-16  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Okay, I don't particularly like to drag up an old topic, but I can't
seem to find anything really helpful in the archives.
I just downloaded VMWare Server and the latest Plan 9 ISO,
and with the help of "echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl" I was
able to install Plan 9. However, when I try to boot the machine
from the hard drive image, nothing seems to happen after
"init: starting /bin/rc". When I try to specify root from tcp,
everything stops after I've entered the username. Now, this
last part could be simply because I have not correctly configured
my CPU/auth server; if somebody could help me figure that out,
I'd be obliged.

So, any suggestions? I'd really prefer to boot it using my remote
fileserver for root. Please no "Just get a real computer" replies,
because I'm very short on room and currently unable to
mess with the laptop I'm using. I've tried running in qemu
under Windows, it's far from ideal.

Thanks

John

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-16  2:10 ` Patrick Kristiansen
From: Patrick Kristiansen @ 2007-06-16  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello.
I got plan9 running in vmware server some days ago.
I ran into the same (and many other) problem as you.
As I remember the problem is the virtual IDE CD-drive. Turn it off or switch
it to SCSI.

-Patrick Kristiansen.

@ 2007-06-16  3:06   ` john
From: john @ 2007-06-16  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2007-06-16  3:30       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-06-16  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2007-06-16  3:59           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-06-16  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

john, drop vmware, use xen.

if you can.

ron

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-16  4:01         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2007-06-16  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> ah.  i see the problem.  you're in hawaii and you're fiddling with a
> computer.  the solution is obvious.  here's some code that should fix
> the probem:
>
> 	goto thebeach;

I dunno.  I live two blocks from the beach, but a trip there in the
evening only helps _me_ reboot in the morning;  the computer is usually
still hosed.

--lyndon

   We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
   the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
   this is not true.
   			-- Robert Wilensky, University of California

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-16  4:51             ` john
From: john @ 2007-06-16  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> john, drop vmware, use xen.
>
> if you can.
>
> ron

Not an option; company computer.
Xen requires a reinstall, or do I not remember things correctly?

John

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-16  4:55               ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-06-16  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/15/07, john@csplan9.rit.edu <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:

> Not an option; company computer.
> Xen requires a reinstall, or do I not remember things correctly?

no, you just need to run a xen kernel. Ah well.

ok, use that vm-beware thing :-)

And update the wiki, somebody here is asking me how to load plan 9 in
vmware and I don't know ...

ron

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-16 16:06     ` Patrick Kristiansen
From: Patrick Kristiansen @ 2007-06-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Thanks; that did the trick. I also found that, apparently, if I select
> root from tcp, type in fs and auth IPs and my user name, then wait for
> a very long time, I get a prompt from the auth server. The problem
> is that this takes a VERY long time. Not fun. What networking option
> did you use? I'm thinking that may be at stake?
>

> John

I also had  the problem that it took very long to log into the vmware plan9
system with drawterm the firste couple of times. I don't have that problem
any more and I don't know why.
Someone on this list pointed out that it may be something in the profile.
Throw some echos in and see where it uses all your time.
-Patrick

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-18  9:05             ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2007-06-18  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Test ohne script
Matthias

mteege@gmail.com
wehserv@dbknb.de
b.schroedl@dr-schroedl.de
matthias@mteege.de
matthias-ksn@mteege.de
rsc@swtch.com
kpax-devel@common-lisp.net
juliane@jteege.de
frank.ripka@ripka-services.de
nrad.ekbmbh@gmx.de
WehserV@dbknb.de
liane@mteege.de
johns@dbknb.de
ruthenberga@dbknb.de
miedes@dbknb.de
weissgerbers@dbknb.de
WeissgerberS@dbknb.de
PD@dbknb.de
MiedeS@dbknb.de
R.Wehser@gmx.de
wolfgang@jteege.de
aw@whyotec.de
giesslert@dbknb.de
m.teege@dr-schroedl.de
demo@dr-schroedl.de
mtg@dr-schroedl.de
hkp-lpz@t-online.de
benjamin.schroedl@gmail.com
ragussh@dbknb.de
9fans@cse.psu.edu
p.schmuecker@hs-mannheim.de
frank.ripka@riseg.com
steffen@weiszgerber.de
arisawa@aichi-u.ac.jp
juliane.ripka@riseg.com
lopasm@dbknb.de

* Re: [9fans] booting in vmware server
@ 2007-06-18  9:15               ` Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2007-06-18  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Sorry about the last message. Small mistake in my mailscript.
Matthias