I am installing plan 9 in a qemu rigth now and the version from the iso i downloaded 10 hours ago isn't working as it should. The fix for the plan9.ini problem has a bug. The grep and sort line in bin/bootsetup is where the bug is as far as I can see ( /sys/lib/dist/pc/inst/bootsetup:40 ). grep -v '(^\[)|menuitem|adisk|bootfile|bootdisk|bootargs|nobootprompt|mouseport|vgasize|monitor|cdboot' | sort -u /tmp/plan9.orig Only one argument given to grep so it read from stdin instead of a plan9.inifile. I tried to paste in the file I thought was the right, but I had to edit plan9.ini before rebooting anyway. Maybe it's because sort has the argument that grep is missing. Good thing I knew how to edit plan9.ini. After 3 hours of installing in qemu you don't want to see an error in the last bootsetup step. -Patrick 2008/1/9, Sander van Dijk : > > ,On Jan 9, 2008 5:07 PM, Russ Cox wrote: > > > I've been looking for the cause of these duplicate entries, and they > > > appear to have been introduced together with the third boot option on > > > the cd, "Boot Plan 9 from this CD and debug 9load". > > > I've been able to trace the cause of the duplicate entries back to the > > > following line in /sys/lib/dist/pc/inst/bootsetup on the cd: > > > > I agree 100% with your diagnosis. I have been hoping that > > the "debug 9load" option will just go away one day. > > That's why I'm wondering if they're still needed. > > Back in November, there where problems with the then recent > plan9.iso's (see thread "Problems Booting Plan9 CD", started on Nov 1, > 2007). So the third boot option was added (see thread "Suggestion: > Programming Tutorial for /sys/doc", also started on Nov 1, 2007, > especially the second post by Geoff). > > The problem I had before the third menu option was introduced, was > that the booting process would fail already before it reached the > menu. > After the third menu option was added however, the iso's have been > working fine for me: the menu is reached, and all of the options > (including the "debug 9load" one) work. Hence, I have the feeling that > removing the third menu option again would be no problem. I'd be happy > to test an image without the third menu option to check if my feeling > is right. > > Greetings, Sander. >