* [9fans] [Fwd: Alt Gr Key for French keyboard]
@ 2003-12-08 21:03 Country Joe
From: Country Joe @ 2003-12-08 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Bonjour list,

Thanks to Andrey at Calgary University, I have Plan 9 installed
on my Asus F7400 laptop with the French keyboard available
at boot time by pressing F5.

Now, while looking at  the file /sys/src/cmd/usb/hid/kbd.c I was
trying to enter the pound sign # while holding Alt Gr key and
pressing the "3" key but it just gave me the character "3".

On a French PC Keyboard certains characters are obtained
by pressing simultaneously the Alt Gr key (right after the space
bar) and the following upper keyboard keys :

        Pressing & holding  Alt Gr

                                        With         Gives        My
"Translation"
                                           2            ~               Tild
                                           3            #
Pound Sign
                                           4            {
Open brace
                                           5            [
  Open Square Bracket
                                           6            |
  Pipe sign
                                           7            `
     Apostophe
                                           8            \
  Back Slash
                                           9            ^
Control Character
                                           0            @
Elephant's Ear
                                           °            ]
  Closing Square Bracket
                                           +            }
  Closing brace

Is there any thing that I may do wrong or may do differently for now on
to have all these characters available for modifying the kdb.c file for
example ?

Thanks for any clue.
Philippe
//

* Re: [9fans] [Fwd: Alt Gr Key for French keyboard]
@ 2003-12-08 22:22 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2003-12-08 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Now, while looking at  the file /sys/src/cmd/usb/hid/kbd.c I was
> trying to enter the pound sign # while holding Alt Gr key and
> pressing the "3" key but it just gave me the character "3".

this is well known. iirc both alt and alt-gr generate 'compose'
and then you can type an arbitrary Rune. this is just wrong.

unfortunately, the kernel has changed so:

   http://www.insultant.net/repo/plan9/kbd.tar

would have to be ported it to 4th ed.

nemo has another solution, but i don't agree with it.

btw: i'm typing this on azerty.

* Re: [9fans] [Fwd: Alt Gr Key for French keyboard]
@ 2003-12-09  8:14   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-12-09  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Now, while looking at  the file /sys/src/cmd/usb/hid/kbd.c I was
>> trying to enter the pound sign # while holding Alt Gr key and
>> pressing the "3" key but it just gave me the character "3".
>
> this is well known. iirc both alt and alt-gr generate 'compose'
> and then you can type an arbitrary Rune. this is just wrong.

With the change in /sys/src/9/pc/kbd.c that comes along with usbhid kbd
you get AltGr generated for the right alt instead of Compose.
Perhaps you didnt integrate that change into your kernel.

* Re: [9fans] [Fwd: Alt Gr Key for French keyboard]
@ 2003-12-09  8:17 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-12-09  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Drop me a line off list to let me know what you did and I'll
try to help to get the french kbd working for you.

hth

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4020 bytes --]