* Re: [9fans] fs(3) for pseudo partitions
       [not found] <CABwSpPC9vsKJ4W0V8DzJ4r0WDmV_Yg8OzD+so6ah=rGQXev35g@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2011-07-11  3:05 ` erik quanstrom
       [not found]   ` <CABwSpPC0Et4BWUYaa4Sb-iV00TSNFYXGkfJBN=CgPXvopPSWRQ@mail.gmail.c>
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-07-11  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Jul 10 22:58:01 EDT 2011, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> For AoE reasons, I need to combine
> a mirror (of a partition of a disk and
> a whole disk) with another partition
> of a disk, in a way that the combination
> looks like a disk in itself.
>
> Has anyone tried such a thing with fs(3)?
> I have a mirror:
>
> mirror m0 /dev/sdD1/data /dev/sdC0/worm
>
> at /dev/fs/m0, and what I would like is
> a new pseudo device in fs(3) that joins
> /dev/fs/m0 and /dev/sdC0/kcache. But
> not simply as a `cat' of these two files,
> rather so that the resulting data file
> has the two as partitions.
>
> This way I don't need a ton of NICs and
> `vblade' instances for each drive/partition
> that I want to serve to my ken fs server.

there are several simple options
- write a little sd driver.  see sdloop(3) for
a prototype.

- modify vblade to serve multiple luns.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] fs(3) for pseudo partitions
@ 2011-07-11  5:30   ` Akshat Kumar
       [not found]   ` <CABwSpPC0Et4BWUYaa4Sb-iV00TSNFYXGkfJBN=CgPXvopPSWRQ@mail.gmail.c>
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-07-11  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, erik quanstrom

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 8:05 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> there are several simple options
> - write a little sd driver.  see sdloop(3) for
> a prototype.

Ah, so such a thing can't be done simply
with some fs(3) configuration?

The sd driver would concatenate the specified
list of files, and keep in the header, some
partition lines, in the vein of sd(3) data files?

> - modify vblade to serve multiple luns.

Is there any reason you decided against this
in the past? Some drawbacks?

Thanks,
ak

@ 2011-07-11 15:09     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-07-11 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > - modify vblade to serve multiple luns.
> >

> Is there any reason you decided against this
> in the past? Some drawbacks?

vblade is a toy target.  i wrote it in an evening to
demonstrate that it just wasn't that hard.  it's not
ment to be performant or featurefull.

- erik

* [9fans] fs(3) for pseudo partitions
@ 2011-07-11  2:56 Akshat Kumar