* Re: [9fans] setting up a differnet keyboard
@ 2008-07-17 21:22 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-17 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bob.hibberdine, 9fans

> Many thanks for this recipe.
> For the moment, though, I am going to stick with my
>     cp  /sys/lib/kbmap/uk   /dev/kbmap   in my profile
>
> Unless there is a good reason why I shouldn't....?

as long as you're happy with it, and don't mind the gotcha,
i don't see that it would be a problem.

but there are 7 characters i know aren't in your password.
and if i got out a uk keyboard, i'd know 7 more.  :-)

i do add some characters to my keyboard map with my
profile, but these are for convience, not to fix broken
mappings.  i map the otherwise-unused f keys to some
common unicode unicode characters.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] setting up a differnet keyboard
@ 2008-07-17 21:12           ` Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2008-07-17 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Many thanks for this recipe.
For the moment, though, I am going to stick with my
    cp  /sys/lib/kbmap/uk   /dev/kbmap   in my profile

Unless there is a good reason why I shouldn't....?

Bob

@ 2008-07-17 21:05           ` Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2008-07-17 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> not when you need to type your password at the console and that
> password contains non-ascii characters. I believe this is the original
> reason kbmap() was added in the boot code (by Francisco Ballesteros,
> if my memory is correct).

Ahh yes..Good point. I confess to having a shamelessly terminal-centric
view of Plan9 at the moment...

Bob

* Re: [9fans] setting up a differnet keyboard
@ 2008-07-17 19:12         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-07-17 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-07-17 19:11         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-07-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-07-17 19:00       ` Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2008-07-17 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Pietro Gagliardi wrote:
> 9fat:
> cp /sys/lib/kbmap/uk /n/9fat
>
> try again with kbmap=uk and reboot.

Yes, I tried that but it didn't work either. This probably because it's
boot not 9load that's running at this point..

Francisco J Ballesteros wrote:
> I think you need to add the map to the kernel, as a root file so that
> boot could find it before reaching the file server.

In which case, this doesn't seem to be a very practical mechanism.
Wouldn't it be beter to attach to the server and then do the kbmap()
stuff ??

A related question:
    cp  /sys/lib/kbmap/uk   /dev/kbmap
in my  lib/profile changes the keyboard, but when put it into
/bin/termrc (at the end) it doesn't do anything. Can anyone tell me why....

Many thanks

Bob

* Re: [9fans] setting up a differnet keyboard
@ 2008-07-16 22:21     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-07-16 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think you need to add the map to the kernel, as a root file so that
boot could find it before reaching the file server.

@ 2008-07-16 22:00     ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-07-16 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-07-16 20:46   ` Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2008-07-16 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-07-15 19:59 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-07-15 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-07-15 19:47 Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2008-07-15 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I want to setup my new plan9 termnial with a UK keyboard. I found kbmap
but this appears to be an interactive program. Even if you do

            kbmap /sys/lib/kbmap/uk

it still acts in an interactive manner. Is this right?

A qick glance at the code reveals that

            cp  /sys/lib/kbmap/uk   /dev/kbmap      (put into my
lib/profile)

should work too,  and it does.   But is this the 'correct' way to do it?
I just want my keyboard to be the right one when when my terminal
windows start.

TIA

Bob