* [9fans] Real basics: authentication
@ 2003-01-09 12:22 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2003-01-09 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

3ed environment, looks like I still don't understand authentication
properly (8 years down the line, ouch!).

File server has /lib/ndb/auth with

hostid=proxima
	uid=!sys uid=!adm uid=*

hostid=inferno
	uid=!sys uid=!adm uid=*

which in my understanding means (I hope) that a CPU (or is that an auth
server?) owned by "inferno" (or "proxima") can "speak for" "lucio".

I have a 3ed CPU server owned by inferno and I use "drawterm" to
connect to it (no 3ed workstations handy).  But I don't seem to have
lucio's permissions in that environment.

I'm sure it's something totally stupid on my part, but what is it?

The AUTH server uses the 4ed portion of the network, but drawterm
seems happy with its behaviour.  The 3ed file server, however, may not
be properly matched to it.  The AUTH server is "owned" by "proxima" (I
hope).

++L