* Re: [9fans] getting started
@ 2002-05-02 16:55 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-02 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is no longer a "Getting Started with Plan 9" document.
The information in it was moved onto the wiki (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9),
where anyone can edit and add to it (and some have: thank you!).
If you run across something that you think isn't explained well
on the wiki, you can add it yourself or just point out the
deficiency and we'll try to correct it.

I read daily diffs of the wiki every morning and try to
correct things that are incomplete or misleading.  Please don't
feel shy about editing it -- if something isn't clear or
you wish something was there, by all means add it.
People have been known to create pages that they wish
existed and just leave the body with "someone please write
a page about this", and that has been effective too.

The start.html that google has cached applies to the third
edition and is out of date in many places.

The same comments apply to the installation instructions
(the former install.html, .ps, .pdf).  The google cache
is from the third edition and out of date; see the wiki.

A question for you: you say "all these references pointing
to a dead link".  I can't find any references on our pages.
I found one reference on the wiki in the file server setup
page; I have changed it to point to the main wiki page.
Where do you see references?

Thanks.
Russ

* [9fans] getting started
@ 2002-05-02 16:39 Anthony C. Zboralski
From: Anthony C. Zboralski @ 2002-05-02 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

many people who will try plan9 for the first time with the 4th edition will
feel    a bit frustrated with all these references to "Getting started with
Plan9" pointing to a dead link
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/start.html .pdf .ps ... well at least
google has a cached copy.

--