* [9fans] not understanding bugs.
@ 2009-01-29 17:36 erik quanstrom
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-29 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

from the link

> But that's what happens when there is no incentive
> for people to do the parts of programming that aren't fun.
> Fixing bugs isn't fun; going through the bug list isn't fun;
> but rewriting everything from scratch is fun (because "this time
> it will be done right", ha ha) and so that's what happens, over and over again.

something must be wrong with me.  i like fixing bugs.
writing a big pile of code always seems daunting.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] not understanding bugs.
@ 2009-01-29 17:42 ` Roman V. Shaposhnik
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2009-01-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 12:36 -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > But that's what happens when there is no incentive
> > for people to do the parts of programming that aren't fun.
> > Fixing bugs isn't fun; going through the bug list isn't fun;
> > but rewriting everything from scratch is fun (because "this time
> > it will be done right", ha ha) and so that's what happens, over and over again.
>
> something must be wrong with me.  i like fixing bugs.
> writing a big pile of code always seems daunting.

makes two of us :-(

* Re: [9fans] not understanding bugs.
@ 2009-01-29 17:42 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-01-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> something must be wrong with me.  i like fixing bugs.
> writing a big pile of code always seems daunting.

Fixing bugs presumes you understand the program very well, both what
it is meant to do and what it is actually doing.  That's no small
prerequisite.  Apply it to Open Source bloat and you'll soon know why
it is not fun.

++L

* Re: [9fans] not understanding bugs.
@ 2009-01-29 17:42 ` Lluís Batlle
From: Lluís Batlle @ 2009-01-29 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Same here. I totally feel like erik about bugs and writing code.

@ 2009-01-29 22:51   ` jimmy brisson
From: jimmy brisson @ 2009-01-29 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Lluís Batlle <viriketo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same here. I totally feel like erik about bugs and writing code.
>
> 2009/1/29 erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>:
>> from the link
>>
>>> But that's what happens when there is no incentive
>>> for people to do the parts of programming that aren't fun.
>>> Fixing bugs isn't fun; going through the bug list isn't fun;
>>> but rewriting everything from scratch is fun (because "this time
>>> it will be done right", ha ha) and so that's what happens, over and over again.
>>
>> something must be wrong with me.  i like fixing bugs.
>> writing a big pile of code always seems daunting.
>>
>> - erik

You are talking about my link correct?
-Jimmy