* [9fans]  Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19 17:39 jimmy brisson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jimmy brisson @ 2009-01-19 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: jmk@pla...
Subject: Re: [9fans] Writing device drivers
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 00:58:38 -0400

>I'd try something simpler than the WPN311
>to start with. I think it uses the Atheros 5212
>chip and I looked at writing a driver for that a
>few weeks ago and decided it was probably more man
>years than I had available.

you seem to be right.

on another note, MadWifi recently released ALL of the sorce included
for their drivers(Including the HAL crap). this allows for a complete
analisys of the project at hand.

If you want me to do something simpler for the time being, I will.
Otherwise I will begin to look at both plan 9 sources and madwifi
sources.

-Jimmy

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19 20:05 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-01-19 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

there is russ's partially completed centrino driver
in his area of contrib.

This has the advantage of being a (hopefully) gentle introduction
which already has a plan9 interface and will be very nicely written.

see /n/sources/contrib/rsc/ipw2200

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19 20:27 ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-01-19 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://9fans.net/archive/2005/09/1
you could also go after that;
seems to be more generic,
but I'm not sure about relative
difficulty/feasibility of such a task.

ak

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-02-25  4:00 ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-02-25  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* jimmy brisson <theotherjimmy@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> on another note, MadWifi recently released ALL of the sorce included
> for their drivers(Including the HAL crap). this allows for a complete
> analisys of the project at hand.

Is the binary-only module also open now ?

BTW: what does it take to have the driver for such a device
completely in userland ? What interfaces does the kernel have
to provide ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-02-25 19:45   ` jimmy brisson
From: jimmy brisson @ 2009-02-25 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> * jimmy brisson <theotherjimmy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> on another note, MadWifi recently released ALL of the sorce included
>> for their drivers(Including the HAL crap). this allows for a complete
>> analisys of the project at hand.
>
> Is the binary-only module also open now ?
Yes, that is what I was refering to.

> BTW: what does it take to have the driver for such a device
> completely in userland ?
Not much,The implimentation would be similar

> What interfaces does the kernel have
> to provide ?
I have no Idea

> cu
> --
>  Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
>  Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
>        http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
>  Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
>        http://patches.metux.de/

; and logic ensued, bringing joy and relief to people through out the land

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-02-25 20:40     ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-02-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* jimmy brisson <theotherjimmy@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> > Is the binary-only module also open now ?
> Yes, that is what I was refering to.

cool :)

> > BTW: what does it take to have the driver for such a device
> > completely in userland ?
> Not much,The implimentation would be similar

Is there any example I could learn from ?

cu

 cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: info@metux.de   skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-02-25 22:45       ` jimmy brisson
From: jimmy brisson @ 2009-02-25 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> * jimmy brisson <theotherjimmy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> > Is the binary-only module also open now ?
>> Yes, that is what I was refering to.
>
> cool :)
>
>> > BTW: what does it take to have the driver for such a device
>> > completely in userland ?
>> Not much,The implimentation would be similar
>
> Is there any example I could learn from ?

that is what stopped me :(

@ 2009-01-19 16:43   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-19 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> drivers should be easy. What turns them hard is dealing with all the
> bugs in the hardware.

vendors vary widly in the amount of bugs there are to
deal with.  errata can be your friends.  i can't speak
to wireless parts, but my experience is that intel parts
generally work quite well with few errata.

however, the errata are not necessarly as bad as the
odd features!

i have a recent experience.  a certain $vendor has a
$part.  it has some bits in a register that specify the
"endianness" of the data.  unfortunately, the $spec
specifies the bytes in order.  it took a good long while
to figure out that the $part's docs were specifying
bytes with respect to the native word byte order.
thus the mapping of the bits was the reverse of the
expected.

why such a feature would be included is beyond me.
the special bits need to be fiddled together regardless
and the data have no ordering.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19 16:25 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-01-19 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Jimmy, your best bet is to find a working wifi card and dig through
that source for a few weeks until you're sure you really understand
it.

drivers should be easy. What turns them hard is dealing with all the
bugs in the hardware.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19 13:39   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-19 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> See the great Eric Smith who thought he could -- and related messages:
> http://9fans.net/archive/2006/04/286
>
> Sadly, most of that time will probably go into hopes and failures
> of the replication idea, and by the time college starts up,
> you'll have learned just enough to no longer have any more time
> to write working driver code.
> In short: it's not easy (see jmk's post as reply to the above reference).

always look on the bright side of life
da doo da doo da doo da do ta do.

sure it's not easy writing a driver.  if
it were, there'd be no satisfaction in
doing it.

yet they are still just software.  there
is nothing magical about a driver.

i would recommend getting some
documentation, though.  drivers
themselves don't retain much information
on what the magic registers do.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19  9:45 ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-01-19  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/1/18 jimmy brisson <theotherjimmy@gmail.com>:
> When did supporting Atheros wireless cards stop being a solution?
>
> As a High School senior, I have tons of time on my hands, but very
> little experince.
> Therefore, I am could be handed the sorce for a working wifi driver
> and replicate it for
> Atheros based cards (using my current linux wifi driver for reference).
> In other words, could someone point me in the right direction?

See the great Eric Smith who thought he could -- and related messages:
http://9fans.net/archive/2006/04/286

Sadly, most of that time will probably go into hopes and failures
of the replication idea, and by the time college starts up,
you'll have learned just enough to no longer have any more time
to write working driver code.
In short: it's not easy (see jmk's post as reply to the above reference).

> thanks,
> Jimmy

an import(4) for free time would be very valuable --
I would not have needed a hammer and chisel as a
printing device, usable with Plan 9,
ak

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-19  9:26         ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-01-19  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hiro:
> Yeah, I think your arguments make perfectly sense.
> I would still be interested to know whether Akshat had the same
> thoughts in mind:)

I have great affinity for everything Plan 9 -- from
the superficial interface to the depths of its
methodology (although, I was recently dumped
by venti). Coding an FS backed application
is something I've always wanted to do; one that
provides an interface for something I regularly
use and understand very well, would be easier
than other things. Steve is spot-on.

And as Erik pointed out, Inferno simply isn't
Plan 9 -- though I still wouldn't mind it on top of
Plan 9 if it were not so slow over
drawterm/cpu(1) on 9vx. Would I still work on this
application? Yeah -- it's not there on Plan 9 natively,
which has its own benefits (and comfort -- see above).

Beyond that, an even more interesting application
would be an IRC server itself, which, with the
backing of an FS, could have a dual effect/usage
of both, fs attachment (for Plan 9 folks), and
the normal protocol connection (for everyone else).
This could perhaps employ the Plan 9 namespace
methodology for containing some sort of conversation-
spaces for users... "and stuff". I won't elaborate...

too many ideas popping in and out,
for otherwise menial tasks
ak

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19  8:31 ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-01-19  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Erreplicate. Bye, bye, cute acute.

--On Monday, January 19, 2009 6:53 AM +0000 jimmy brisson
<theotherjimmy@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Although there is already an ircfs for Inferno, since I don't want to
>> run Inferno outside of Plan 9, and certainly not over a remote
>> connection to Plan 9 (these also being my only options -- unless someone
>> wants to start creating drivers for Atheros wireless cards), I've begun
>> work on an FS backed IRC client for native Plan 9. Steve Q.
>
> When did supporting Atheros wireless cards stop being a solution?
>
> As a High School senior, I have tons of time on my hands, but very
> little experince.
> Therefore, I am could be handed the sorce for a working wifi driver
> and replicate it for
> Atheros based cards (using my current linux wifi driver for reference).
> In other words, could someone point me in the right direction?
> thanks,
> Jimmy

* Re: [9fans] Les Mis?rables
@ 2009-01-19  6:53 jimmy brisson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: jimmy brisson @ 2009-01-19  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-01-19  0:19                   ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-01-19  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Inline

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 6:52 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>wrote:

> > Well, actually, I was thinking of something along the lines of Lisaac:
> > "dynamic" modules are statically compiled ala object files, & the run
> time
> > handles issues between Plan9 & Inferno. Sys->load & the like would not be
> > dynamic, but would work as expected. Hell, it could even just be a
> > .Net/perl2exe clone: every binary is just an ultra-cut down Dis +
> compiled
> > modules. I like the Lisaac model better, and that's where I was hedging
> my
> > bets; I have a bunch of notes on my local Inferno install, but nothing to
> > show due to more pressing issues. C'est la vie.
> > & debugging this would require a 9Limbo-aware debugger; the .Net-style
> > approach could serve a /lproc or the like though (not that the native one
> > couldn't, but the VMish approach could have hooks for stopping
> execution).
> > $0.02
>
> perhaps i wasn't clear.  so please forgive me for repeating
> myself and charles.

No, I understand actually, but we're talking past each other. Despite being
an ass, I'm not nearly as stupid as you
may think.

> this is exactly the type approach that i was pointing out
> would not work.  it won't work because inferno provides an
> environment.  the inferno vm will not be able to replicate
> the environment without also dragging large parts of the
> inferno kernel along.  but the consequence of doing this
> will make inferno procs fundamentally different from
> plan 9 procs.

Understood; you'll note I never say port Inferno's everything to run atop
Plan9 (Dis does this fine enough).
I meant an static collection of Limbo modules could be shoe-horned into a
binary. I'm talking about Limbo the language;
there would be numerous differences between a 'native' limbo & the hosted
one. For one, dynamic loading wouldn't work.
Another is the thought experiment you provide below. Certain things could be
abstracted, other things would have to go.
I don't want an libinferno.

> if you're not convinced of this, try this thought experiment.
> suppose an inferno proc accesses a # device.  and suppose
> further that this device is different in plan 9 and inferno.
> how do you bridge the cap in both directions so that neither
> inferno nor plan 9 is aware of the joke?

Again, a native limbo might be different; a programmer might have to handle
such things, much like the way C programmers
have to handle the differences between Plan9 & everything else. I like Limbo
the *language*, most of which could be abstracted to run atop Plan9 fine
methinks. I don't think I'll be running wm/wm anytime soon, nor did I ever
say that. Given that Limbo is modular, reads of # devices could be handled
by a plan9_limbo & an inferno_limbo module, with the same "interface". I
don't see this as a major issue stopping Limbo *the language* from being
brought into native use. *shrug*

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.
 -- Ovid

   "By cosmic rule, as day yields night, so winter summer, war peace, plenty
famine. All things change. Air penetrates the lump of myrrh, until the
joining bodies die and rise again in smoke called incense."

   "Men do not know how that which is drawn in different directions
harmonises with itself. The harmonious structure of the world depends upon
opposite tension like that of the bow and the lyre."

   "This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god
or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire,
kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures"
-- Heraclitus

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-18 23:52                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-18 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-01-18 23:37               ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-01-18 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.

@ 2009-01-18 22:26             ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-18 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-01-18 21:53         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-01-18 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-01-18 21:50           ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-01-18 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.

@ 2009-01-18 20:16       ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2009-01-18 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Or have a native Limbo compiler; I've been itching for that for some time,
but I've much else on my hands. One day when free...

--
And in the "Only Prolog programmers will find this funny" department:

Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No.

@ 2009-01-18 19:41       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2009-01-18 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-01-18 18:12       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-01-18 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> I seem to remember Mjl, the author if the inferno ircfs, wrote an
>> ircfs for Plan 9 ages ago. Still, seems like a total waste of time
>> when you have a perfectly fine one in limbo, which is a much more
>> convenient language for building such a thing anyway.

[snip]

> so, since an ircfs is not a huge project, i don't think
> it's unreasonable to write one for plan 9.  it's what i
> would do.
>
> - erik

I would add to Erik's comments that perhaps Akshat wants to write an ircfs,
partly to have the end result of having such a tool, but also for the
experience of learning the parts of the plan9 system and techniques
required to build it.

That is what I have done in the past, and what I continue to do.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-18 14:28     ` erik quanstrom
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-18 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-01-18 11:39   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2009-01-18 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>I don't want to
> run Inferno
> outside of Plan 9, and certainly not over a remote connection to Plan 9 (these
> also being my only options -- unless someone wants to start creating drivers for
> Atheros wireless cards)

Couldn't you run Inferno inside of plan9?

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-18 11:14   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2009-01-18 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> Although there is already an ircfs for Inferno, since I don't want to
> run Inferno outside of Plan 9

Why not?

> and certainly not over a remote connection to Plan 9

Why not?

> (these
> also being my only options -- unless someone wants to start creating drivers for
> Atheros wireless cards), I've begun work on an FS backed IRC client for native
> Plan 9. Steve Q. has been kind enough to provide me with some ideas and code
> from his previous tries at something like this (i.e., stuff previously found
> inside /n/sources/contrib/steve/chatfs-unfinished.tgz).

I seem to remember Mjl, the author if the inferno ircfs, wrote an
ircfs for Plan 9 ages ago. Still, seems like a total waste of time
when you have a perfectly fine one in limbo, which is a much more
convenient language for building such a thing anyway.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-18  2:04 ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-01-18  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Regarding nadict (the rc scripted Acme interface to dict(7)), for
those interested,
I plan to add the remaining "Next", "Prev", and "Nmatch"
functionalities as found
in adict.
Of the brief trials I did with this, it seemed to get messy.

Although there is already an ircfs for Inferno, since I don't want to
run Inferno
outside of Plan 9, and certainly not over a remote connection to Plan 9 (these
also being my only options -- unless someone wants to start creating drivers for
Atheros wireless cards), I've begun work on an FS backed IRC client for native
Plan 9. Steve Q. has been kind enough to provide me with some ideas and code
from his previous tries at something like this (i.e., stuff previously found
inside /n/sources/contrib/steve/chatfs-unfinished.tgz).

suggestions, code, wifi card drivers, women interested in finding men
on obsolete
operating system discussion mailing lists... all welcome,
ak

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-17 14:36   ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-01-17 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So it did on Windows + Mulberry. I know, I know, I'll shut up.

--On Friday, January 16, 2009 8:17 PM -0500 erik quanstrom
<quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> On Fri Jan 16 20:16:55 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
>> the subject header in the last message came out to be very ugly
>> due to GMail's default encoding. now using Unicode
>>
>> sorry
>> ak
>
> looked fine on plan 9.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-17  1:17 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-17  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 16 20:16:55 EST 2009, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> the subject header in the last message came out to be very ugly
> due to GMail's default encoding. now using Unicode
>
> sorry
> ak

looked fine on plan 9.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-17  1:14 Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-01-17  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the subject header in the last message came out to be very ugly
due to GMail's default encoding. now using Unicode

sorry
ak

* [9fans] Les Misérables
@ 2009-01-17  1:07 Akshat Kumar