From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] using usb
Date: Thu,  1 Apr 2010 09:19:13 -0400	[thread overview]

> Up-to-now, I only aplied /sys/src/boot/pc drivers, and found strange
> behaviour of that, say missing 'other' partition in a SATA HDD(only this partition).
> It has many partiotions, such as 9fat, fossil, arenas0, isect0~3, swap, cache, nvram and other).
> Then, I used /disk/prep, which reported right partioning, and write it
> to the disk.   Then, I can use other file system.
> However, when I rebooted the system, then, 'other' partition disappears
> again.
>
> Do you have some idea what's going on here.

i hope i have understood correctly that you applied
the partitions which were originally missing with
disk/prep -p and rebooted and the partitions didn't
reappear.  in that case, ...

disk/prep -p doesn't write anything to the disk.  it just
prints a list of partions and ranges, one per line.  if
you inform sd about partions with
	disk/prep -p /dev/sdXX/data>/dev/sdXX/ctl
again, nothing is written to disk but sd creates the
partitions it was told about in memory.  and a
file with the name of each partition appears.
each time the machine is booted, prep must be run.
if necessary, diskparts(8) serves this purpose.

on the other hand, if 9load provides the kernel with
a conf variable sdXXpart, sd with partition sdXX on
boot.  9load only automaticly provides this variable if it
booted a kernel from sdXX.  i have set the variable
sda0part for a machine using sas disks because i never
bothered porting the driver to 9load but needed a
place for nvram.

- erik