From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] standalone authserver on CF card
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 12:19:47 -0400	[thread overview]

> What is the best setup method? Because the soekris box hasn't a video
> output I have to use a serial console.  I think of booting the box via
> pxe and running replica/pull. Or is it better to put the cf card in
> another box and set it up there?

that really depends.  the fundamental decision is if the auth server
is completely standalone or if it's root is from the main fileserver.

at coraid, our auth server boots from a kernel on DOM (uses regular
ide connector rather than CF) and mounts the main fileserver.  it only
has a local plan9.ini and kernel.  nothing else.

unfortunately, this means that the fileserver is also completely standalone.
it boots from a kernel on DOM, too. this makes upgrading the fs somewhat
of a pain, but fs kernel updates are rare.

the upside is that the auth server which also serves pxe booting doesn't
live in its own world.  if we booted the auth server from DOM or CF root,
we would have to push pxe images & /lib/ndb/local to the auth server with
every change.

- erik