* [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-15 22:08 Rudolf Sykora
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-01-15 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

can anybody recommend any plan9 compatible notebook?
I mean with support for say its every hardware part?
Does such a thing exists? :)

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-15 22:21 ` Jacob Todd
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-01-15 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Check the wiki page 'supported hardware.' There's at least one thinkpad on
the list.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-15 23:26   ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2011-01-15 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I find my 600e to be very fast with Plan 9.

*ducks*

@ 2011-01-15 23:27 ` Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX) @ 2011-01-15 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I mean with support for say its every hardware part?

You can't even do that with UNIX these days :-p

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-15 23:33     ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2011-01-15 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My dell inspiron 1000 works fairly well with plan 9, too. The ethernet
device doesn't work (there is a driver for it, there's some niggle with the
card, I suppose). Usb works, video works, sound doesn't,  however. The sound
card is some intel card (intel-8x0 driver on lunix).

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16  0:50       ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2011-01-16  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have a ThinkPad T400.  9atom works with SATA controller in IDE mode
(I think Erik Quanstrom works on making the DVD-RW drive work in AHCI
mode).  Never tested sound.  Works great :-).

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16  1:01         ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-01-16  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 15, 2011, at 6:50 PM, Aram Hăvărneanu <aram.h@mgk.ro> wrote:

> I have a ThinkPad T400.  9atom works with SATA controller in IDE mode
> (I think Erik Quanstrom works on making the DVD-RW drive work in AHCI
> mode).  Never tested sound.  Works great :-).
>
> --
> Aram

What about graphics and wifi? What resolution and color depth are you able to run in?

-sl

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16  9:09 ` Oleg Finkelshteyn
From: Oleg Finkelshteyn @ 2011-01-16  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> can anybody recommend any plan9 compatible notebook?

Based on 9fans' suggestions, I got an IBM T23.
This machine is great, both for plan9 and generally.

T23 (and other thinkpads from its era) also has the most
plan9-friendly input devices I've seen. I can perform all the chords
with just my thumb (later models have less useful button layout), and
I never have to get my hands off the home row while using plan9.

I can't say I tried every device, but I haven't yet come across
anything that doesn't work.
Of course you don't get wifi with T23, you probably need to get a
supported pcmcia card.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16  9:30   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-01-16  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 1:09 AM, Oleg Finkelshteyn <olegfink@gmail.com> wrote:
>> can anybody recommend any plan9 compatible notebook?
>
> Based on 9fans' suggestions, I got an IBM T23.
> This machine is great, both for plan9 and generally.
>
> T23 (and other thinkpads from its era) also has the most
> plan9-friendly input devices I've seen. I can perform all the chords
> with just my thumb (later models have less useful button layout), and
> I never have to get my hands off the home row while using plan9.
>
> I can't say I tried every device, but I haven't yet come across
> anything that doesn't work.
> Of course you don't get wifi with T23, you probably need to get a
> supported pcmcia card.

An Orinoco card should run you about $10-15 on ebay.

I bought a T22 a few years back and I agree. It's an ideal Plan 9
laptop, although (all together now) I never got sound working. And of
course the battery has given up the ghost; right now, it's sitting
with its lid closed acting as a Linux web/ssh server--although my
netbook has terrible mouse buttons, especially for Plan 9, it wins out
in terms of weight and battery life. The screen and keyboard on the
Thinkpad are far superior, of course.

John

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16  9:52   ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2011-01-16  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Of course you don't get wifi with T23, you probably need to get a
> supported pcmcia card.

Most ThinkPad T23 (included mine) were sold with a
WaveLAN mini-PCI card [1].

So, yes, you can have WiFi.

However, if I recall correctly, these WaveLAN aren't
the newer ones which support WEP. So you can only
connect to open access points.

[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T23

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16 11:50           ` Aram Hăvărneanu
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2011-01-16 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> I have a ThinkPad T400.  9atom works with SATA controller in IDE mode
>> (I think Erik Quanstrom works on making the DVD-RW drive work in AHCI
>> mode).  Never tested sound.  Works great :-).
>>
> What about graphics and wifi? What resolution and color depth are you able to run in?

Native 1440x900 resolution at 32 bpp :-).  There are at least 3
different WiFi options, I don't think mine works, a supported PCMCIA
card is around $15 though.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16 15:24             ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-01-16 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Does it have to be a notebook?

Quite some disk controllers and NICs are supported, but don't expect
long battery life, i.e. support for acpi/powersaving features on these
modern laptops.

For real mobility I learned to use whatever the laptop ships with, and
virtual machines.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16 15:26   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-01-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What do you mean? Linux support sucks, but after some days of hackery
most of your devices will get recognized, no?

@ 2011-01-16 21:42     ` Oleg Finkelshteyn
From: Oleg Finkelshteyn @ 2011-01-16 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> although (all together now) I never got sound working.

I used to have sound (with one of the ac97 drivers), but not in the
current setup. I couldn't get acceptable sound quality out of it
though.
T23's sound system per se is relatively good, or rather, not as
disgusting as in most laptops.

If all ac97 attempts fail, there is also usb/audio. Someone wishing to
use it should bear in mind, though, that T23 only has usb 1.1, so
higher sampling rates are probably out of reach.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-16 21:44     ` Oleg Finkelshteyn
From: Oleg Finkelshteyn @ 2011-01-16 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Most ThinkPad T23 (included mine) were sold with a
> WaveLAN mini-PCI card [1].

Oh, so I just was unlucky. Sorry for the confusion.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-19  5:28               ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-01-19  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 16 Jan 2011, at 3:24 pm, hiro wrote:

> For real mobility I learned to use whatever the laptop ships with, and
> virtual machines.

Aside from having installed Slackware, this is what I'm doing with my
eee 1005HA. I'm using Ron's 9vx which is looking good and solid,
although I haven't had had a chance to put it to any heavy use.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-19  6:43 ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-01-19  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've tried Thinkpad models X200s, X201, and X300
with Plan 9. Each of them PXE booted over ethernet
(with the Intel cards) and using the local file server
as root fs. Graphics, input, etc. work very well and
Plan 9 runs very smoothly here. I haven't tried sound
or anything.

I boot into Plan 9 on my Thinkpad (the X200s) only
occasionally, since I have another machine to serve
as a terminal already. So, I haven't had chance to try
everything.

Of course, there is no WiFi - and in my setup, where
the root fs is a Ken FS file server on the local network,
and remote booting is required, I doubt there would be
any use for it either.

Best,
ak

@ 2011-01-25 13:56         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-25 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Jan 15 19:51:47 EST 2011, aram.h@mgk.ro wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad T400.  9atom works with SATA controller in IDE mode
> (I think Erik Quanstrom works on making the DVD-RW drive work in AHCI
> mode).  Never tested sound.  Works great :-).

try a new 9atom kernel.  they're at ftp://ftp.quanstro.net/other/
let me know if this helps.

this fix may also help those who had trouble with some disk sizes
in virtualbox.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-25 16:24           ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2011-01-25 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> this fix may also help those who had trouble with some disk sizes
> in virtualbox.

I am using the regular kernel in virtualbox without a problem. What does 9atom
fix exactly?.
I only had two problems in virtualbox, a bug in ohci which caused the kernel
to panic and is fixed now and that the kernel in the install cd had some problem
with the video (I recompiled it and it worked, so I don´t know what caused it).
The boot kernel in the cd works fine but the one installed had this problem.

G.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-25 17:10             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2011-01-25 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2011-01-25 17:45               ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2011-01-25 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Is this the latest virtualbox?

Yes, the non-free oracle version with usb extension pack.

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-26  0:43             ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2011-01-26  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Gorka Guardiola <paurea@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> this fix may also help those who had trouble with some disk sizes
>> in virtualbox.
>>

> I am using the regular kernel in virtualbox without a problem. What does 9atom
> fix exactly?.
> I only had two problems in virtualbox, a bug in ohci which caused the kernel
> to panic and is fixed now and that the kernel in the install cd had some problem
> with the video (I recompiled it and it worked, so I don´t know what caused it).
> The boot kernel in the cd works fine but the one installed had this problem.

hi Gorka

When I tried regular kernel around 2010 I had problems with
no dma on disks and no network. this is using virtualbox 4.0.0 snow leopard

When tried 9atom I had problems with booting if I used less 800Meg of
Disk size this is also using virtualbox 4.0.0 snow leopard

I have not tried it on vbox 4.0.2. my 9atom install has been working
flawlessly as long i use >800MB of disk.

fernan

* Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
@ 2011-01-29  0:40   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-01-29  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Replying to an old post here, but I'd like to chime in that the x300
is a beautiful laptop for running Plan 9; I just installed on
one. Pity it's going to be a cpu/auth server, because it's great
hardware that makes a sweet terminal. Wireless is your own problem,
though. What would it take to get USB phone tethering working?

(My new x201 should be in my hands soon, once all the bureaucracy gets
through messing with it. Looking forward to trying Plan 9).

John

@ 2011-01-29  0:54     ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-01-29  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

writing usb drivers is easy.

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4357 bytes --]

From: John Floren <john@jfloren.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9 compatible notebook
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:40:56 -0800