From: uriel@cat-v.org
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Re: patch/list sorry/nbroken-8
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 00:47:50 +0200	[thread overview]

> d-rwxrwxr-x M 430 uriel sys 0 Mar 29 17:38 sorry/nbroken-8
> from uriel@cat-v.org
> 	/sys/src/9/port/proc.c
> 	Upper NBROKEN to 8 to avoid lossing broken procs in long-running cpu servers.
>
> Wed Mar 29 17:37:57 EST 2006 rsc
>     This is an arbitrary choice.  Why not 16?
>     If you want to make it different in your own systems go ahead,
>     but I don't see the point here.
>
>     The default is fine as it is.
IMHO the default is way too low (and undocumented as far as I can
tell.) 8 is also arbitrary, but seems like a much more reasonable
value in most cases, going over 4 broken processes is not hard if you
have bad luck and a long running box, going over 8 broken processes is
considerably harder, like all magic numbers, all matter of judgement
and experimentation.

Note that others have also reported broken procs 'vanishing', probably
because they didn't know there was a limit and that the limit was so
low.

uriel