* Re: [9fans] fossil+venti backup question
@ 2007-03-30  6:23 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2007-03-30  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > 	; mount /srv/kibbiee /n/other other
> > 	; mount /srv/kibbiee /n/dump dump
> >
> ^^ this is exactly what id like to do
> to have a plan9 machine at work (which is the best way to learn plan9
> becouse my spare time is very limited and at work i am forced to play
> with it)

Pardon me, but with what are you forced to play at work?  Plan 9? (O_O)

You can take archival snapshots in arbitrary timing by running
"echo fsys main snap -a >> /srv/fscons" periodically with cron.

One more thing that fossil is different from fossil+venti is that
same block contents won't be coalesced to a single block without venti.

--
is your money uncoutable or an uncoutable?

* [9fans] fossil+venti backup question
@ 2007-03-29 11:03 bituman
From: bituman @ 2007-03-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 From time to time i get back to plan9 and starting fiddling with it,
now i might found a reason to make it useful where i work..
If i understand correctly, venti uses fossil as a write buffer for
today's modifications, and if i want to access data in previous week's
state, then files are served by venti.
Or (as i read in plan 9 intro pdf): "In some cases, a single file server
may provide more than one file tree. For example, the file system
program used in Plan 9, fossil, makes a snapshot of the entire file tree
each day, at 5am,
and archives it for the posterity. It archives only the changes with
respect to the last archive, but
provides the illusion that the whole tree was archived as it was that day."

What id like to know is:
can i simply use fossil or do i need fossil+venti?
can backup period (currently daily) be set to stg. else? Like every two
hours?