* [9fans] News doesn't get saved in acme Dump
@ 2007-02-02  0:48 Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2007-02-02  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there a reason that acme doesn’t include a News pane when executing Dump?

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] News doesn't get saved in acme Dump
@ 2007-02-02  1:07 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-02-02  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2/1/07, Joel Salomon <JoelCSalomon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a reason that acme doesn't include
> a News pane when executing Dump?

Probably News doesn't write an appropriate dump
command to the acme ctl file.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] News doesn't get saved in acme Dump
@ 2007-02-02  2:36   ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2007-02-02  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Is there a reason that acme doesn't include
> > a News pane when executing Dump?
>
> Probably News doesn't write an appropriate dump
> command to the acme ctl file.

How can I fake it?

% cat acme.dump
/usr/chesky
/lib/font/bit/lucidasans/unicode.7.font
/lib/font/bit/lucm/unicode.9.font
          0          33
f          0           1          80          80           1
          1          34          80           1           1 /usr/chesky/ Del Snarf Get | Look
e          1           0           0           0           1
          2          49           5           0           1 /usr/chesky/-hymie Del Snarf | Look Send Noscroll
/usr/chesky
win
e          1           0           0           0           5
          3          49           0           0           0 /mail/fs/mbox/ Del Snarf | Look Put Mail Delmesg
/acme/mail
Mail -o /mail/box/chesky/outgoing mbox
f          1          16         676         676          30
         16          39         839           0           0 /usr/chesky/acme.dump Del Snarf | Look
%

I’m guessing I need to replace the last two lines with something like:
	e          x          x          x          x          x
	          4          57          0          0          0 /mnt/news/digitalmars/D/ Del Snarf | Look Newpost More
	/acme/news
	News digitalmars.D
—but what are the ‘x’ values?  Looking through acme(4), I made a stab
at guessing the second line (window ID, the number or characters in
the tag as returned by wc, no chars in body (the way Mail reports it),
not a directory, and not modified), but what about the line starting
with ‘e’?  Win uses “e 1 0 0 0 1”, Mail uses “e 1 0 0 0 5”; what are
these numbers and where are they documented?

Thanks,

@ 2007-02-02  2:46     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-02-02  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Don't fake it -- fix News.  You have the source.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] News doesn't get saved in acme Dump
@ 2007-02-02  3:05       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-02-02  3:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Don't fake it -- fix News.  You have the source.

that's good advice for life, not just News. Too bad life doesn't
come with source code.

* Re: [9fans] News doesn't get saved in acme Dump
@ 2007-02-02  3:09       ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2007-02-02  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Don't fake it -- fix News.  You have the source.

Right.  So… when I try to implement the write-to-ctl in News, what is
the meaning of the numbers sent?  Reading through
/acme/mail/src/mail.c and /acme/mail/src/win.c is somewhat less than
edifying.

@ 2007-02-02  3:16         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-02-02  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > Don't fake it -- fix News.  You have the source.
>
> Right.  So… when I try to implement the write-to-ctl in News, what is
> the meaning of the numbers sent?  Reading through
> /acme/mail/src/mail.c and /acme/mail/src/win.c is somewhat less than
> edifying.

/acme/mail/src/mail.c:
	winsetdump(wbox, "/acme/mail", cmd);

/acme/mail/src/win.c:
void
winsetdump(Window *w, char *dir, char *cmd)
{
	if(dir != nil)
		ctlprint(w->ctl, "dumpdir %s\n", dir);
	if(cmd != nil)
		ctlprint(w->ctl, "dump %s\n", cmd);
}

So if you open the ctl file and then do

  fprint(ctl, "dumpdir /news/window/title\n");
  fprint(ctl, "dump News whatever args you use\n");

then you're done.  There are no numbers to send.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] News doesn't get saved in acme Dump
@ 2007-02-02 14:12         ` cummij
From: cummij @ 2007-02-02 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Too bad life doesn't come with source code.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/science96/

john