From: a@9srv.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9x and similar old apps
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:48:56 -0500	[thread overview]

// ...non-ported programs i can cut my teeth on?

pretty much the only things i miss from 2e are the old fb
suite of graphics operators. they were *really* nice for
doing batch or scripted operations - in my opinion, much
nicer than anything else i've found (i can do it all with
ImageMagik, for example, but it's much more awkward),
and generally much smaller to boot. the only downside of
the programs was that they all operated on only the plan9
image format - but that wasn't much of a big deal - just
stick a converter on either end of the pipeline. the
programs were never ported to 3e (although some existed
internally with brazil's graphics model), and i don't
exactly remember whether the ones that were ported inside
ever dealt with the changes russ made to get better color
depths. the biggest problem (but perhaps the easiest to
solve) is that i don't think the source was ever released
under the new license. any chance of putting it in the
contrib section? i'd be willing (eager!) to help on this
as well, if we could get the old stuff out under the new
license. any chance?
ア