From: Robert Raschke <rrplan9@tombob.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] slightly ot: how can I get vmware 4.5?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:48:18 +0100	[thread overview]

ron wrote:
> does qemu run on windows at this point? I still don't think that given the
> existence of Xen and qemu ports, that VMWare is worth the trouble.

I haven't yet looked at qemu, but Xen is a non-starter for me, as I'm
constrained to Windows and can't change that.  Luckily, at home most
things are lovely Plan 9.

I'll investigate qemu.  I managed to get VMWare5 past the hanging
stage by moving the CD to SCSI (as is suggested in the wiki for
version 4), but now have vga hell.  Yamanashi Takeshi pointed out that
there might be VESA support, but then I'm still not clear on how to
bootstrap my way in.  I guess console and ed would get me started.

I am finding that I have been infiltrated by the acme virus.  I've
turned into one of these people who are rabid about the editor they
love, oh no ;-) Spending 8 hours a day in front of a machine that does
not support mouse chording et al.  is proving to be hard.  (I've
managed to accidentally close down applications due to unwitting use
of mouse buttons in Windows.) OK, I'll stop whining now.

Robby