From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] FAT32 question
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:33:40 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wed Mar 27 08:26:04 EDT 2013, comeauat9fans@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm mounting a FAT32 flashdrive on a RPi.  However, it seems that some
> sort of legacy 8.3 filename situation is existing.  For instance, if I
> have a directory containing x.c and a23456789.c that the former is
> taken as X.C and the latter is taken as shown.  Therefore, to compile
> x.c is not possible.  So for instance, echo *.c produces a different
> result than echo *.C.  I tried mv'ing the problem files and then back
> but same results.

modulo other bugs, dossrv does something kind of interesting.
if you explictly walk to x.c, you will have a match.  but it doesn't
do this when stating a directory.  so if the file lists as "x.c" you
should be able to compile it.

ladd# cd /n/9fat
ladd# lc
9LOAD		9PCCPU.GZ	9pccpu		PLAN9.INI
ladd# cat plan9.ini>/dev/null
lladd# cat PLAN9.ini>/dev/null
ladd# cat PLAN9.INI>/dev/null

see /sys/src/cmd/dossrv/dossubs.c:/^mkalias for dossrv's
8.3 tricks.

- erik