* [9fans] Installation impressions from a plan9 newbie
@ 2006-12-24 19:09 Alberto Cortés
From: Alberto Cortés @ 2006-12-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans.

I have installed an small plan9 network, with a cpu/auth/file
server and some terminals.

I had some problems, that I fixed easily in a few hours. I think
that tutorial/wiki/installation guys can be interested in my thoughts:

- kbmap: adding a kbmap question at the installation process will
  be nice; a kbmap variable in plan9.ini?... I used this on my
  termrc (based on /sys/src/cmd/kbmap.c):

    def_kbmap=/sys/lib/kbmap/ascii
    my_kbmap=/sys/lib/kbmap/es
    if (test (-w /dev/kbmap) -a (-r $def_kbmap) -a (-r $my_kbmap)) {
        cat $def_kbmap > /dev/kbmap
        cat $my_kbmap > /dev/kbmap
    }

- system time: I had some problems with the system time. Hardware
  clock was UTC, i live in spain (CET), the system somehow set
  timezone to USA or something which leaves me with a venti
  server complaining about files being modified in the past and
  very intensive interrupt traffic (>1000 int per second) on the
  venti server (somebody ask about this on a recent post!).

  Of course, I fixed the system time problem setting the
  timezone, but it will be nice if it could be done at the very
  beginning of the installation process (another plan9.ini var?).
  I was left with some insecurity feelings about my new server
  because of that.

- cpu kernel default config file (/sys/src/9/pc/pccpuf) does have
  VGA and mouse modules but not kbmap module. I see no point on
  doing the first without the late. A bind for #k (what is the
  name of that 'k' rune?) in cpurc can also be interesting on
  the tutorials (near the aux/vga thing).

Of course these are not real problems, just newbies gotchas, but
I often found newbie ramblings interesting for gurus minds.

--
  http://bach.gast.it.uc3m.es/~alcortes/index.html

* Re: [9fans] Installation impressions from a plan9 newbie
@ 2006-12-25  0:20 ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2006-12-25  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alberto Cortés, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

On 2006/12/25, at 4:09, Alberto Cortés wrote:

> - kbmap: adding a kbmap question at the installation process will
>   be nice; a kbmap variable in plan9.ini?... I used this on my
>   termrc (based on /sys/src/cmd/kbmap.c):
>
>     def_kbmap=/sys/lib/kbmap/ascii
>     my_kbmap=/sys/lib/kbmap/es
>     if (test (-w /dev/kbmap) -a (-r $def_kbmap) -a (-r $my_kbmap)) {
>         cat $def_kbmap > /dev/kbmap
>         cat $my_kbmap > /dev/kbmap
>     }

Something like below will work, but I haven't try yet.
In plan9.ini, add a line
	keyboard=es
And in termrc, add lines
	if(~ $keyboard ?*){
		cat /sys/lib/kbmap/$keyboard > /dev/kbmap
	}

Bind operation might be required before cat.
	bind -a '#κ' /dev
where 'κ' is kapper.

Kenji Arisawa

* Re: [9fans] Installation impressions from a plan9 newbie
@ 2006-12-25  0:30   ` Rodolfo Garcia
From: Rodolfo Garcia @ 2006-12-25  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

arisawa@ar.aichi-u.ac.jp wrote:
> (...)
>
> Bind operation might be required before cat.
>     bind -a '#κ' /dev
> where 'κ' is kapper.
Alberto,

an easy way to get the kapper, is copy/paste from the kbmap manpage.

@ 2006-12-29 17:35 ` sretzki
From: sretzki @ 2006-12-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alcortes, 9fans

> Hello 9fans.
[...]
>   something which leaves me with a venti
>   server complaining about files being modified in the past and
>   very intensive interrupt traffic (>1000 int per second) on the
>   venti server (somebody ask about this on a recent post!).
>
>   Of course, I fixed the system time problem setting the
>   timezone, but it will be nice if it could be done at the very
>   beginning of the installation process (another plan9.ini var?).
>   I was left with some insecurity feelings about my new server
>   because of that.

Roger, that'd be great. :-)