* [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 17:12 Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-11 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 17:19 ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2006-10-11 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2006/10/11, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net>:

> Does anyone have experience running rio under qemu?  My cursor is
> hooped - I can see its left-most pixels running on the edge of my
> screen, and bring up rio menus there, but I can't get it to the
> middle of my window.
>
> Hints?
>
> Paul

my cursor under qemu is weird too. when i first try to use it after
booting, it can never address the whole screen, only one piece of it.
and it's not the same piece; sometimes it's a corner, sometimes the
middle.
i haven't looked at any code, but moving the cursor faster, trying to
address the whole screen, gives me good results sometimes.

iru

* Re: [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 17:26 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2006-10-11 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Does anyone have experience running rio under qemu?  My cursor is
> hooped - I can see its left-most pixels running on the edge of my
> screen, and bring up rio menus there, but I can't get it to the
> middle of my window.
>
> Hints?

You are likely running into a mouse emulation bug where the
cursor can't go past an invisible wall.  A work around is to
slide the cursor in the waaay over in the opposite direction.
AFAIK this is fixed in a later version of qemu.  or atleast
it is fixed in 0.8.2 on freebsd.

* Re: [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 17:29   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-10-11 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/11/06, Iruatã Souza <iru.muzgo@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/10/11, Paul Lalonde <plalonde@telus.net>:
> >
> > Does anyone have experience running rio under qemu?  My cursor is
> > hooped - I can see its left-most pixels running on the edge of my
> > screen, and bring up rio menus there, but I can't get it to the
> > middle of my window.
> >
> > Hints?
> >
> > Paul
> >

> my cursor under qemu is weird too. when i first try to use it after
> booting, it can never address the whole screen, only one piece of it.
> and it's not the same piece; sometimes it's a corner, sometimes the
> middle.
> i haven't looked at any code, but moving the cursor faster, trying to
> address the whole screen, gives me good results sometimes.
>
> iru

Iru, I have experienced this problem. What you need to do is click
your host's cursor on top of the Plan 9 cursor, in order to allow it
to reach the entire screen.

John
--
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

* Re: [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 17:30   ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2006-10-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 18:44     ` Lluís Batlle i Rossell
From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell @ 2006-10-11 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've never seen that problem using Qemu in the same machine where I run
the x server. But I've had the problems you describe through Tightvnc.

Paul Lalonde wrote:
> Ack - sounds like a bad interaction with synergy, which I use to share
> my mouse and keyboard across from my mac.
> And sure enough - I just plugged in a mouse to that machine, and it
> works fine.  I'll ask the Qemu folks how to make it work with Synergy.
>
> Thanks,
>     Paul

>>> You are likely running into a mouse emulation bug where the
>>> cursor can't go past an invisible wall.  A work around is to
>>> slide the cursor in the waaay over in the opposite direction.
>>> AFAIK this is fixed in a later version of qemu.  or atleast
>>> it is fixed in 0.8.2 on freebsd.

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3311 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 23:41       ` Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-10-11 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah the invible wall bug is really annoying, and for the linux version of
0.8.2 it's still there. The best way to get rid of them, I found, is to go
out of full screen and back into it (or vice versa), and somehow the walls
disappear. On another note that I've been wondering is if it'd be possible
to remap my keyboard so that the ` key will act as mouse button 1, etc. I've
tried doing this in linux (since mice click very loud) via xmodmap without
any success. Just wondering if it'll be possible under Rio.

* Re: [9fans] Cursor fun in Plan9 under Qemu on Linux
@ 2006-10-11 23:49         ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2006-10-11 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/11/06, Yosyp Bin Laden <yosyp.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah the invible wall bug is really annoying, and for the linux version of
> 0.8.2 it's still there. The best way to get rid of them, I found, is to go
> out of full screen and back into it (or vice versa), and somehow the walls
> disappear. On another note that I've been wondering is if it'd be possible
> to remap my keyboard so that the ` key will act as mouse button 1, etc. I've
> tried doing this in linux (since mice click very loud) via xmodmap without
> any success. Just wondering if it'll be possible under Rio.

Hey, do you mind trying what I suggested? Leave cursor-grab mode, and
the move the X cursor right on top of the Plan 9 cursor and click. Now
there shouldn't be any invisible walls.

John
--

@ 2006-10-12  2:40           ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2006-10-12  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2006/10/11, John Floren <slawmaster@gmail.com>:
> Hey, do you mind trying what I suggested? Leave cursor-grab mode, and
> the move the X cursor right on top of the Plan 9 cursor and click. Now
> there shouldn't be any invisible walls.
>

> John
> --

it works nicely.