* [9fans] off-topic: "small is beautiful" article
@ 2009-06-25 15:36 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2009-06-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Mentions Plan 9 just at the end in the context of C compilers,
although the argument of the article, that being able to "do more with
less" is better, is applicable to Plan 9 in the OS field too.

http://synthcode.com/blog/2009/06/Small_is_Beautiful

I'm sorry if this got posted earlier and I missed it.

* Re: [9fans] off-topic: "small is beautiful" article
@ 2009-06-25 15:50 ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-06-25 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/6/25 andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com>:
> Mentions Plan 9 just at the end in the context of C compilers,
> although the argument of the article, that being able to "do more with
> less" is better, is applicable to Plan 9 in the OS field too.
>
> http://synthcode.com/blog/2009/06/Small_is_Beautiful
>
> I'm sorry if this got posted earlier and I missed it.

This is our GSoC student who is working on making his scheme
interpreter work in Plan 9. Check there more frequently for his
progress and musings!

--dho

* Re: [9fans] off-topic: "small is beautiful" article
@ 2009-06-25 15:53   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-06-25 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

COOL!  So there's a Scheme in the works for Inferno and Plan 9?
Dave

@ 2009-06-25 16:38     ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2009-06-25 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nils Holm's Scheme interpreter @ http://t3x.org/s9fes has
been available for a few months now.  It runs on plan9 though
not on inferno.  Like Chibi-scheme it too is fairly small.
(about 5.5Klocs of C, 1.4Klock of Scheme).

I am more interested in Gambit as it is one of the fastest
Scheme implementations and supposed to be easy to port. See
http://jlongster.com/blog/2009/06/17/write-apps-iphone-scheme/
Though I suspect a port to plan9 may be harder than iphone.

@ 2009-06-25 16:42     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-06-25 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

TinyScheme has been in contrib for a long time, but I don't know its
limitations or how it would stack up against 'ChibiScheme'

John

--
"I've tried programming Ruby on Rails, following TechCrunch in my RSS
reader, and drinking absinthe. It doesn't work. I'm going back to C,

* Re: [9fans] off-topic: "small is beautiful" article
@ 2009-06-25 17:14       ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-06-25 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM, John Floren<slawmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> TinyScheme has been in contrib for a long time, but I don't know its
> limitations or how it would stack up against 'ChibiScheme'
>
> John

Alex (the article's author) mentions it at
http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc/browse_thread/thread/885367b29bb79b43/3df41742786f88d6?lnk=gst&q=tinyscheme#3df41742786f88d6

iru

* Re: [9fans] off-topic: "small is beautiful" article
@ 2009-06-25 18:01       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-06-25 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Gambit is really great.  Runs on "bare metal" on the Nintendo DS (with a bit
of work).
There is a distribtued programming extension for
Gambit called "Termite" that uses the same approach as Erlang as well.

Very neat stuff :-).  I nearly used Gambit at work on an embedded
platform, but had some difficulty with the port I was trying to make
work so I never proved out the concept completely.

Dave

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Bakul Shah
<bakul+plan9@bitblocks.com<bakul%2Bplan9@bitblocks.com>

@ 2009-06-25 18:54       ` blstuart
From: blstuart @ 2009-06-25 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Nils Holm's Scheme interpreter @ http://t3x.org/s9fes has
> been available for a few months now.  It runs on plan9 though
> not on inferno.

For Inferno, look at:

http://code.google.com/p/inferno-scheme

It's best considered embryonic, and has been that way
for a little while as I've been side-tracked by some other
things.  It's strictly an interpreter at this point, so it's
going to be relatively slow.  But on the upside, it's got
an implementation of popen so that you can fire off
other programs for it to talk to.  If that external command
is tkcmd, then you can easily do graphical stuff.

I do plan to get back to it before long and give it some
form of compiler and as part of that implement continuations
and proper tail recursion.

BLS