* [9fans] new fonts, this time for real
@ 2003-07-13 20:10 andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-13 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've put two of the newly converted fonts on the web, together with a test
file:

	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/fonts/

both fonts (9x18 and 10x20) are complete conversions, the korean and
japanese ones will come later -- they take too much time to complete.

characters in the range 0x00-0x1F are taken from latin8.9 and ascii.10
respectively -- that way users will be accustomed to the common Plan 9
control character font.

There doesn't appear to be any license distributed with the fonts. The
author's page (linked to from the page above) also doesn't contain anything
about licenses. I've contacted him and will update you when I know the
licensing for sure.

andrey

* Re: [9fans] new fonts, this time for real
@ 2003-07-13 22:33 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-07-13 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It has been pointed to me that control character glyphs occur at 0x2400 in
the new fonts just converted. This means that we can avoid abusing the
latin1.9 and ascii.10 fonts, though we lose the historically significant NUL
glyph.

If anyone is interested in seeing how the fonts look without my intrusive
Plan 9 font additions, do the following substitution:

line 2 of 9x18.font becomes:
	0x0000	0x001F	9x18.2400-2426

line 2 of 10x20.font becomes:
	0x0000	0x001F	10x20.2400-2426

the files there are all viewable with page, so to check the differences
between the two do:

	page 9x18.0-1F 9x18.2400-2426

I can imagine why the Plan9 people have decided to do this, the question is
which one do you like better?

@ 2003-07-14 14:23 ` D. Brownlee
From: D. Brownlee @ 2003-07-14 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> I've put two of the newly converted fonts on the web, together with a test
> file:
>
> 	http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~mirtchov/p9/fonts/

With X fonts, it seems to me that the lines are spaced too closely
together. 10x20 seems alright, but the smaller ones, 8x13 and 7x13
look odd.

* Re: [9fans] new fonts, this time for real
@ 2003-07-15  8:07   ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-07-15  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

6x13 looks fine, however.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2526 bytes --]

From: "D. Brownlee" <brownlee@acm.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] new fonts, this time for real
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:23:57 -0700