* [9fans] making yourself at home
@ 2007-06-07 21:50 Frank Lenaerts
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Frank Lenaerts @ 2007-06-07 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

After installing Plan 9 on a standalone machine, adding a user,
configuring the network, wandering around a bit, reading some
manpages, ... I have a few questions for which I didn't find an
answer. They seem stupid, so I might have missed some important
documentation. If so, just point me to the docs, if not, an
explanation is welcome;-)

Here are my questions:

- Living in Belgium, I copied /adm/timezone/CET to
  /adm/timezone/local. However, time is still off by 2 hours. It seems
  that the system is using GMT (normally, CET = GMT + 1; in summertime
  (now), CET = GMT + 2). Is the CET file "wrong" or so?

- After creating a new user, the new user does not (yet) have a
  password. Apparently, I cannot use auth/changeuser because I don't
  have an auth server (the system is setup as a "terminal" whereas I
  would normally consider it a "workstation") and passwd gives me
  "protocol botch: cs: can't translate service".

- How do I logout to let another user login?

- Is there something like "su" to let me be someone else in another
  window?

- How do I stop rio to get to textmode?

- Can I somehow lock the screen?

- I noticed that users glenda, adm and none don't have a password (by
  default). These users can however change the timezone, reboot the
  machine, ...

- What is the purpose of the different users like (a) glenda (seems to
  be hostowner, can create users, etc.), (b) adm, (c) none?

  [*] is part of the sys group but could not change /rc/bin/termrc
  because he couldn't write to /tmp (no profile like a normal user
  binding /tmp to /home/tmp; I suppose he can do this interactively)

- Is there something like virtual consoles to allow e.g.  several
  users to login simultaneously and each starting a graphical
  environment?

- Is there something like a plain "mount" command, just to see all
  bindings?

cu,

--
Frank Lenaerts ---------------------------------------- frank@inua.be