* [9fans] Another D?
@ 2004-04-19 17:11 John Murdie
From: John Murdie @ 2004-04-19 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: john

I see that Slashdot[1] has come across Digital Mars'[2] "D" programming
language (again?). I'm trying to remember how many other "D" programming
languages I've heard of before - can anyone help?

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
UK

1. http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/19/1124204&mode=thread&tid=108&tid=126&tid=156

2. http://www.digitalmars.com/

* Re: [9fans] Another D?
@ 2004-04-19 17:24 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-04-19 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I see that Slashdot[1] has come across Digital Mars'[2] "D" programming
> language (again?). I'm trying to remember how many other "D" programming
> languages I've heard of before - can anyone help?

DDJ #358 (March 2004), article titled "Collection Enumeration --
Loops, Iterators and Nested Functions".  Abstract is: "Yes, all
languages do it, but D's approach is different".  It references "The D
Programming Language" by Walter Bright, DDJ, February 2002.

Not sure if it's the same as the one on slashdot.

Interesting side note: The same issue of DDJ details S-XML, a language
for manipulating XML trees.  To quote: "Specifically, S-XML represents
XML elements with S-expressions".  (have I mentioned this before on
9fans?  deja-vu?)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] Another D?
@ 2004-04-20  8:02   ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2004-04-20  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> DDJ #358 (March 2004), article titled "Collection Enumeration --
> Loops, Iterators and Nested Functions".  Abstract is: "Yes, all
> languages do it, but D's approach is different".  It references "The D
> Programming Language" by Walter Bright, DDJ, February 2002.

Walter Bright has a special place in my memory, I wonder what happened
to him?  He eventually sold Zortech to Symantec (I presume).  This
happened to be a surprisingly complete C++ (version 1 and version 2)
compiler suite for the 8086 and later processors.  I still use it
occasionally, largely for small C utilities.

I found it all pretty impressive, for what my opinion may be worth.
In fact, his C++ compiler would, again in my opinion, complement Plan
9 rather successfully.  Pity the source is not, to the best of my
knowledge, in the public domain.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Another D?
@ 2004-04-20  9:54     ` Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2004-04-20  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <d27dc70d84e83f3adc5283b28045406a@proxima.alt.za> you write:
>> DDJ #358 (March 2004), article titled "Collection Enumeration --
>> Loops, Iterators and Nested Functions".  Abstract is: "Yes, all
>> languages do it, but D's approach is different".  It references "The D
>> Programming Language" by Walter Bright, DDJ, February 2002.
>
>Walter Bright has a special place in my memory, I wonder what happened
>to him?

See www.digitalmars.com.  He has D compilers for x86 Linux and Windows.

Arnold