From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] GSoC application & ideas page
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:15:53 -0400	[thread overview]

> On Mar 13, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Anthony Sorace wrote:
>
> >> I'd suggest to complete native SSH2 implementation.
> >
> > This has obvious utility, but I'm hesitant to add it without a
> > mentor who can vouch for its suitability for a summer-sized
> > student project, and who'd be willing to mentor a good
> > proposal for it. To me, it seems larger than that, but I'd be
> > happy to be wrong. Any takers?
>
> Let's not take this one completely off the table yet.  SSHv2
> would be extremely useful in helping open up communication
> with external systems again.  I use to find sshnet extremely
> viable in a mixed network where now I'm just using sshv2 to
> tunnel in overly complicated startup scripts.

sshv2 as a gsoc project will fail.  having seen an implementation
done up close, it's 3+ man-months of effort for a very skilled full-time
professional with years of plan 9 experience.  even so there are a
number of important decisions that will take up the summer like
how to relate to the v1 implementation, how to deal with passwords
keyrings and certs.  those are going to cost time.

i'd love to find the student who could do it in about 1/3 the hrs.
but i don't think that's realistic.

- erik