From: lucio@proxima.alt.za
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] MIPS LSB compiler
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:34:34 +0200	[thread overview]

"Go" has added a cat amongst the pigeons :-)

I'm a language aficionado and could not resist finding out more, but
what I found turned out to be relevant to me in additional ways: no
one has pointed out that the go toolchain is based on kenCC and
produces Linux-elf executables.

Given the addition of this toolchain, one wonders how far we are from
being able to port all the P9 compilers to Linux and consequently to
all Posix platforms.  My beef is that I have a wide choice of cross-
and native toolchains with which to port Plan 9 to a MIPS platform
(LSB), but I really wish I could settle on something I am much more
comfortable and familiar with.

Considering how readily p9p ported to the MIPS platform (the
outstanding issue that stops it from being submitted for inclusion in
the release is my lack of understanding of the MIPS-64/MIPS-32
details, regarding the unused getcallerpc() - sigh!) it seems to me
that adding MIPS support to go should not be hard.

My grasp of Linux and ELF, as well as the P9 toolchain, is too flimsy
to embark on this alone, but if anybody wants me to complete any task
for which the documentation isn't too obscure, I'd love to help.  My
hope is that this will help me understand the underlying issues better
and help me progress with my own porting project.

Porting go both to Plan 9 and to Linux-MIPSEL looms high on my list of
immediate interests, feel free to contact me offline if you believe I
can assist with these.

++L