Ron says: > There's a lot of MPI you (well, I) don't need. I would say you need almost none of it. Around 1993 as part of my PhD project I designed a parallel computing library based on the BSP model with exactly six primitives (of which two are housekeeping and one more is arguably redundant) - see attached man page. The simplicity meant that it could be implemented quickly and efficiently on a range of platforms from workstation clusters to the Cray T3D, and users found it easy to use and understand. Sadly BSP was too unconventional (too simple?) to become popular. -- Richard