* [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15  3:33 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-15  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i just got a new motherboard/processor.  (amd 4x3.4ghz
with sb850) it just worked.  boots in 10 seconds.  same
old crappy plan 9 video perfomance.  :-)  its been a long
time since i didn't need to fight a motherboard.  i did
notice this usb niggle when booting.  i haven't tried usb
yet, so i don't know if this means anything at all:

ohci interrupt: unhandled sts 0x00000040
ohci interrupt: unhandled sts 0x00000040
ohci interrupt: unhandled sts 0x00000040

; pci|grep usb
0.18.0:	usb  0c.03.10 1002/4397  11 0:fe4fe000 4096
0.18.2:	usb  0c.03.20 1002/4396  10 0:fe4ff800 256
0.19.0:	usb  0c.03.10 1002/4397  11 0:fe4fd000 4096
0.19.2:	usb  0c.03.20 1002/4396  10 0:fe4ff400 256
0.20.5:	usb  0c.03.10 1002/4399  11 0:fe4fc000 4096
0.22.0:	usb  0c.03.10 1002/4397  11 0:fe4f3000 4096
0.22.2:	usb  0c.03.20 1002/4396  10 0:fe4ff000 256

oh, and yes.  when pulling the old motherboard i noticed
about 2/3 of the caps are dripping.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15  4:29 ` lucio
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: lucio @ 2011-01-15  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> oh, and yes.  when pulling the old motherboard i noticed
> about 2/3 of the caps are dripping.

I wonder how that happened?  Every hardware problem I have diagnosed
and occasionally fixed in the last few years, from motherboards to CRT
monitors to external power supplies (mains voltage converters) has
boiled down to one or more 10μF electrolytics packing up.  How many
faulty capacitors were manufactured and deployed?  By whom?
Intentionally?

++L

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15  4:33   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-15  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Jan 14 23:29:27 EST 2011, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > oh, and yes.  when pulling the old motherboard i noticed
> > about 2/3 of the caps are dripping.
>
> I wonder how that happened?  Every hardware problem I have diagnosed
> and occasionally fixed in the last few years, from motherboards to CRT
> monitors to external power supplies (mains voltage converters) has
> boiled down to one or more 10μF electrolytics packing up.  How many
> faulty capacitors were manufactured and deployed?  By whom?
> Intentionally?

these are 6.6v 1800µF caps.  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15  4:36   ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2011-01-15  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

lucio@proxima.alt.za once said:
> I wonder how that happened?  Every hardware problem I have diagnosed
> and occasionally fixed in the last few years, from motherboards to CRT
> monitors to external power supplies (mains voltage converters) has
> boiled down to one or more 10μF electrolytics packing up.  How many
> faulty capacitors were manufactured and deployed?  By whom?
> Intentionally?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
http://www.deadprogrammer.com/the-capacitor-plague

  Anthony

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15  4:48     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2011-01-15  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> these are 6.6v 1800µF caps.  see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

I wasn't sure, but the issue has bugged me for a long time.  Thanks
for the pointer.

++L

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15  9:24   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-01-15  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Its not faulty caps, they just have a limited life,
dried up electrolytic caps is the cause of most
electronics dieing of old age.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15  9:35     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2011-01-15  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Its not faulty caps, they just have a limited life,
> dried up electrolytic caps is the cause of most
> electronics dieing of old age.

In the days before I took up electronics as a hobby, valves were
seated in sockets because it was known that the equipment they were
used in would outlive them.  Maybe we should recommend easily
replaceable capacitors in modern equipment instead of blindly
accepting that a component of extremely low cost should wreck
expensive machinery beyond repair.

++L

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15 14:58     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-15 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Jan 15 04:25:22 EST 2011, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> Its not faulty caps, they just have a limited life,
> dried up electrolytic caps is the cause of most
> electronics dieing of old age.

is that lifetime 2 years?

i have 3 va linux machines here that are still working great
with no leaky caps.  they are all about 12 years old.

(by the way, the motherboard + processor + memory
is free to a good plan 9 home.  you pay shipping.)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-15 15:08       ` Duke Normandin
From: Duke Normandin @ 2011-01-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011, erik quanstrom wrote:

> On Sat Jan 15 04:25:22 EST 2011, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> > Its not faulty caps, they just have a limited life,
> > dried up electrolytic caps is the cause of most
> > electronics dieing of old age.
>
> is that lifetime 2 years?
>
> i have 3 va linux machines here that are still working great
> with no leaky caps.  they are all about 12 years old.
>
> (by the way, the motherboard + processor + memory
> is free to a good plan 9 home.  you pay shipping.)

You would be shipping from where, approx.? How much memory in that
thar thing? :)
--
Duke

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-19  4:51       ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2011-01-19  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 15 Jan 2011, at 9:35 am, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

>> Its not faulty caps, they just have a limited life,
>> dried up electrolytic caps is the cause of most
>> electronics dieing of old age.
>
> In the days before I took up electronics as a hobby, valves were
> seated in sockets because it was known that the equipment they were
> used in would outlive them.  Maybe we should recommend easily
> replaceable capacitors in modern equipment instead of blindly
> accepting that a component of extremely low cost should wreck
> expensive machinery beyond repair.

Cheap caps don't last, expensive ones do. No-one's going to put cheap
caps in sockets, it defeats the point of using cheap ones. Cap
replacement is still possible if you have some skill with a soldering
iron, or see http://badcaps.net/ . That said, adequate caps are often
larger than cheap ones.

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-19  6:50       ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-01-19  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

what's the form factor?

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 6:58 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Sat Jan 15 04:25:22 EST 2011, steve@quintile.net wrote:
>> Its not faulty caps, they just have a limited life,
>> dried up electrolytic caps is the cause of most
>> electronics dieing of old age.
>
> is that lifetime 2 years?
>
> i have 3 va linux machines here that are still working great
> with no leaky caps.  they are all about 12 years old.
>
> (by the way, the motherboard + processor + memory
> is free to a good plan 9 home.  you pay shipping.)
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] ohci funny on sb850
@ 2011-01-19 12:09         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-19 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Jan 19 01:51:11 EST 2011, akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net wrote:
> what's the form factor?

i'm easily confused by this stuffi believe it's miniatx.  (atx - 3 inches of depth.)

- erik