From: adr <adr@SDF.ORG>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] USB3 1Gb ethernet card working on 9legacy (rpi 4)
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 18:46:30 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

On Wed, 3 Aug 2022, Richard Miller wrote:
>> That was a typo, is almost five times slower (~80% slower). Just
>> to be clear, it is really worst!
>
> Unless your "small arm linux machine" is a raspberry pi, you are changing
> too many variables to make a meaningful comparison.  Benchmarking i/o across
> the internet will also introduce enough variation to suggest an experimental
> sample size of more than one attempt.
>
> An interesting set of experiments might be to run both linux and plan 9 on
> the pi4, try the built-in ether adapter and the usb dongle, and try fetching
> both from http:// and https:// (to see how much of the variation is due to
> tls decode speed).

Reading my mail it seems like this was something I suddenly was
aware of. It is not, I've been trying to understand what is wrong
for some time now. The pi4 saturates my fiber in linux, there is
no problem with the hardware. But note that the linux machine is
sending and receiving packages through the plan9 machine. If there
was a hardware problem in the pi4 (or the usb adapter), the linux
machine's connection would be affected.

And yes, I have made tests with different sites. As I said before
the archlinux servers usually let me saturate my bandwidth, so they
have become a good target for me.

The thing this setting is telling me is that the usb and ethernet
drivers are working reasonably good (again, at least for my
bandwidth).

I don't know any reliable server with good bandwidth serving without
tls, I could set an http server on the linux machine and make tests,
but I modified the example at

https://golangdocs.com/golang-download-files

and there is no real difference between the native and go tls implementations:

; time ./gget -o /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2
Downloaded a file /dev/null with size 513671168
2.25u 1.45s 65.51r       ./gget -o /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2

; time hget -o /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2
couldn't set mtime: permission denied
9.27u 35.02s 64.62r      hget -o /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2

With linux (again, through the plan9 machine) I get:
$ time ./gget -o /dev/null https://arch.mirror.constant.com/images/v20220801.71902/Arch-Linux-x86_64-basic-20220801.71902.qcow2
Downloaded a file /dev/null with size 513671168

real    0m48.624s
user    0m14.265s
sys     0m21.648s

So now It is only about 25% slower in plan9, so yes, the factors are variable.

I found this thread in the list's archives:

https://marc.info/?t=145579525000007&r=1&w=2

Maybe is related.