My favorite error message of all time was `unintelligent control statment was output with diagnostic.' That was on the batch job control on an CDC 18/20 ITOS system. It was years later that I realized that my program had stopped without reading the last record in the sysin and a data card was the next thing read by the batch system. I had put two sentinel numbers as input instead of one. It just couldn't figure out what to do with 99999 as a job control card. The message should have been, `Hey stupid! What's 99999 supposed to mean?' Brantley