It looks like you're right; my apologies for the bad advice. I remembered that all the startsb block numbers had been corrected (to "2") in 4e but had forgotten about firstsb (and I'd initialised it in my file servers to "2"). firstsb (if non-zero) is primarily an optimisation and it depends on the specific jukebox and on time, so in either /sys/src/fs/emelie/9pcfs.c or /sys/src/fs/sony/9sonyfs.c, conf.firstsb = 13219302; is presumably wrong (I'd bet on 9sonyfs.c being wrong) and could be deleted or changed to conf.firstsb = 0; Also, /sys/src/fs/words should probably be amended to advise zeroing firstsb in the spun-off subtree's 9*fs.c. I noticed just now that conf.wcpsize is not used in 4e; it was used in 3e in /sys/src/fs/port/worm.c in wcpinit(), but worm.c is now gone. So all those conf.wcpsize = 10; lines in /sys/src/fs/*/9*fs.c and port/main.c: conf.wcpsize = 1024*1024; can be deleted.