* [9fans] nsf funding research into better (operating) systems
@ 2004-10-14  4:16 geoff
From: geoff @ 2004-10-14  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Today's SIGOPS mail includes a notice of an NSF solicitation
for research into more efficient and more robust operating systems.
Reading between the lines, it sounds like they are fed up with Windows.
I've included the lead-in at the end.  You can get the full solicitation
at http://www.nsf.gov/pubsys/ods/getpub.cfm?nsf04609.

It sounds like we might have an operating system or two for them.

Here's the lead-in:
---
Computer systems are ubiquitous, and society is increasingly dependent
on them. They range from microprocessors embedded in automobiles and
appliances to worldwide grids of advanced processors, storage,
graphics devices, and instruments interconnected by high-speed
networks.  They are controlled by systems software, which has two main
roles: manage the underlying hardware resources, and provide
abstractions and services that facilitate the implementation and
execution of application programs.  However, too often computer
systems fail, become compromised, or perform poorly. Moreover, they
have become increasingly large and complex, thereby compounding
problems.  Addressing these challenges requires major advances in
systems software.

The Computer Systems Research (CSR) program supports innovative
research and education projects that have the potential to: lead to
significant improvements in existing computer systems by increasing
our fundamental understanding of such systems; produce systems
software that is qualitatively and quantitatively more reliable and
more efficient; and/or, to produce innovative curricula or educational
materials that better prepare the next generation of computing
professionals.  The CSR program is also interested in projects that
expand the capabilities of existing systems by exploiting the
potential of new technologies or by developing innovative new ways to
use existing technologies.  Projects supported will strive to make
significant progress on challenging, high-impact problems.as opposed
to incremental progress on familiar problems.and will have a credible
plan for demonstrating the utility and potential impact of the
proposed work.
---

* Re: [9fans] nsf funding research into better (operating) systems
@ 2004-10-15  0:19 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-10-15  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Plan 9 in LANL!!
Is it going to be on the top of top500.org list? :)

On Fri Oct 15 00:30:54 JST 2004, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> DOE is the Department of Energy, which is a big supercomputer buyer.

Just as like Monbu-Kagaku-Sho in Japan.

* Re: [9fans] nsf funding research into better (operating) systems
@ 2004-10-15  6:19 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-10-15  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri Oct 15 14:50:25 JST 2004, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> But, as bad as top500 is, seeing Plan 9 up there would be nice.

Yes.  That would turn the interest of Globus+Top500 motivated
people to Plan 9.  They are many, I guess.

Even if I could replace Linux clusters with Plan 9 ones,
my life wouldn't get easier, but surely get fancier.