From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ndb/csquery: what is dns is not up?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:20:06 -0400	[thread overview]

Your message suggests a better solution than mine.  Just change sshnet to allow
also implement /net/ndb and have sshnet's simulated /net search that first.  It
would make it a lot more useful.  I don't have time right now, but perhaps you
do?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3596 bytes --]

From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:16:25 +0200

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 08:59:48AM -0400, David Presotto wrote:

> Because ipquery starts and an ipaddress and looks through the database looking
> for attributes bound to that address, then to the subnet containing that address,
> then the subnet containing that subnet, ad nauseam looking for the attributes.
>
> There is no ip address corresponding to an authdom, like outside.plan9.bell-labs.com.

Oh, OK!  I guess the name says it all, once you know what to look for.

> I'll answer about sshnet as soon as I look at a man page to see what it
> is.

Let me be less cryptic, while I have a chance.

My office is linked to the Internet via a convoluted path of private
networks, with a remote host that I can connect to using SSH.

I establish a "tunnel" to that host quite happily using sshnet, which
installs a stripped copy of /net.

The command

	srv sources.cs.bell-labs.com sources /n/sources

returns the reassuring "post..." and, in the absence of a factotum
key, prompts me for the proxima/......... which I use to authenticate.

Sadly, it seems to me that factotum attempts to connect directly to
sources.cs.bell-labs.com, according to tcpdump run on the remote
host.  The diagnostic output from factotum indicates the expected
timeout caused by the various filters in the path.

If I spawn a new factotum (it really needs an option to be removable,
by the way), I believe it fails to identify/resolve the auth server
associated with the auth domain.  I have no idea quite how to take
care of that problem.  Ideally, I'd create a /net/ndb entry, but
that's not possible with sshnet serving /net.

++L