* Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide
@ 2007-03-31 21:47 ramkromberg
From: ramkromberg @ 2007-03-31 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm only concerned with the content and its validity, if someone would
like to change the formating of the article to something better, go
ahead.

If you don't know how to work with the wiki, instructions can be found
here:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Acme_wiki_instructions/index.html
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Wiki_syntax/index.html

Basically you need to run acme ("acme" in term of plan9/inferno), got to
/acme/wiki/guide, right click "Local srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki
wiki /mnt/wiki" and then right click "Wiki /mnt/wiki/", The first wiki
page will appear (http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/)
with instructions to right click a link to open it ( [Virtual machines]
), when the guide is opened simply make the modifications and middle
click "Put" to save.

* Play around acme b4 trying editing web content with it :-) I suggest
the sandbox...

I myself only just now figured out how to edit the wiki (thanks Uriel),
weird how you can't edit it from an Internet browser ?!

If you have content issues (something not working, you have something to
add) you can try this mail list, emailing me and/or pointing it out in
the wiki...

If you need access from a windows machine to the wiki without actually
having inferno/plan9 installed (to make small touch-ups and alike, only
running a headless server, away from your machine, whatever), instead of
installing all of inferno you can try this out:
http://caerwyn.com/acme/

P.S: now that I think of it, maybe a forum can be build using the same
mechanism that is used by the wiki ? run a command in acme, log-in, and
post on a forum ?

Good Luck,
Ram Kromberg
ramkromberg@mail.com

* Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide
@ 2007-04-01  5:12 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2007-04-01  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I myself only just now figured out how to edit the wiki (thanks Uriel),
> weird how you can't edit it from an Internet browser ?!

I think this answers Bill Hacker's question, and many others rather neatly:

> Guess the 'bigger question'  - taking just the 'symptoms' [1] - is why,
> presuming the concepts (Plan9, and any/all 'sputniks') have value [2], it/they
> is/are not in broader use already.

You need to have a modicum of dedication not only to appreciate Plan
9, but even to use it.  Call it obsession if you prefer.  That is not
what Microsoft has been pushing; on the contrary, they are targeting
as wide a market as they can embrace, while at least some of the ethos
in Plan 9 is not to allow the dilution of craftmanship (I would use
"art", but that has a taint of its own) that is fundamental to Plan 9.

Look at Linux for another example: UBUNTU is very cool as a commodity
operating system, but under the hood it is very awkward to customise
and maintain; Plan 9 is consistent in this respect, and easy once you
grasp its intrinsically simple nature.

Just because a browser is too big a task to be undertaken by the
community, does not mean it can't be done.  It merely means that the
community is not focused in that direction, and, of course, Abaco
proves my point by being the exception that confirms the rule.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide
@ 2007-04-01  6:15   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-04-01  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Guess the 'bigger question'

not glitzy enough to compete for the desktop.
glenda needs to be tarted up a bit.

* Re: [9fans] Updated qemu wiki guide
       [not found] ` <f11045270703310203h29ae4626p6db470a99347b79e@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-03-31 16:45 ` Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente
From: Lorenzo Fernando Bivens de la Fuente @ 2007-03-31 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hola

We should divide that qemu guide into sections. Several steps are not only
Windows related. We could make something like

- Installing qemu
	+ Windows
	+ Lunix
	+ ...

- Setting up Networking
	+ Windows
	+ You know who in tuxedo...
	+ ...

- Running qemu

What do you think?
I can help with the lunix thingies, there isn't much to say.

On the other hand, I don't know if there is a wiki format standard, but I
would suggest to add a "table of contents" to long guides/articles.

Cheers!
Have a nice weekend!

@ 2007-03-31  9:14   ` Primus
From: Primus @ 2007-03-31  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Can the link to Xen (found at
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/sandbox/index.html) be
included/referenced
from the updated page?

Regards,

--
primus
(Train yourself and be your own master.)

GPG Key: DB3FB476
Key fingerprint: B0FB C67E 2E7E 7032 7FE6  7FBC 28E9 2848 DB3F B476

--

@ 2007-03-31  0:09 ramkromberg
       [not found] ` <f11045270703310203h29ae4626p6db470a99347b79e@mail.gmail.com>
From: ramkromberg @ 2007-03-31  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)