From: "Tharaneedharan Vilwanathan" <vdharani@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] multiple venti servers
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:40:09 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Russ,

On 8/30/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > If I am right, one problem with this approach is it becomes tricky
> > when both venti servers have updates but yet to be sync'ed. And, in
> > particular, when there are identical data backed up (say, I downloaded
> > a CD image in two machines and backed up in these two servers), it
> > leaves two copies. It may be safe but it does leave two copies.
>
> You are not right.
Good to know I am not right! :-) About 2 years back I tried to
reinstall venti server and noticed some pb with copying old data. In
response to one of the mails, I had sent this reply:

From:  vdhar...@infernopark.com - view profile
Date:  Mon, Aug 23 2004 11:34 am
Email:   vdhar...@infernopark.com
Groups:   comp.os.plan9

i have done similar thing (except fossil) before and i didnt face any
problem.

but i noticed a couple of things:

- if i invoke 'wrarena' twice, it took twice the space. so i think it
blindly copies rather than checking for existing data. this raises 2
questions: is venti still in good shape (since now two blocks for the same
score may exist)? if i backup up same or similar files in different venti
servers and later on i merge the venti server data using readarena and
wrarena, will it leave duplicate data blocks unnecessarily?

- you have to keep the venti score details (vac) seperately all the time.
else there is no way to get the signatures and venti may become useless
without it.

Till now, I have been thinking wrarena wrote a copy of every block
when I invoked it twice. I think I checked up how much space venti
used up but I am not sure whether there was actually some other issue.

Thanks
dharani