hi jeff, i agree. somewhere down the line, i will probably stick to this method. but my problem is i use inferno and acme in inferno a lot. to the extent i tested so far, drawterm, 9vx are all so slow in updating inferno screen (i think it becomes a matter of screen area updates all the time instead of any optimized updates like in case of, say, a rio text window). since i use inferno a lot in plan9 and since the lag is very noticeable, i am just trying to find out a way. btw, is there any opportunity for optimization in draw operations that will help? or it is already optimized? is it possible to lower the no of bits per pixel in inferno and will it lead to any gain in performance? thanks dharani I still recomend keeping the VMware Plan 9 instance as a console (text only) > and using drawterm to connect in--much more responsive and gives clean > access back to your host filesystem. > > The docs on creating a stand alone cpu server help getting the > configuration to work. > > -jas > > >