OK, thanks. Now we're getting somewhere. I guess I just mention hardware availability because I got the impression that while you could run everything from a single PC with fossil (by "run everything" I mean have it handle auth/cpu/fs), Ken's fs was designed to be run on a machine that acts as a file server and nothing else, though I'm guessing now that nothing would prevent me from using Ken's on a multipurpose machine. In any case, you're right the hardware stuff is a red herring, so allow me to rephrase a bit more concisely. In Plan 9 you can use fossil, kfs or Ken's fs, which do you choose and why? Greg