* [9fans] ssh v2, using a remote linux server
@ 2009-05-03 14:26 Rudolf Sykora
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-05-03 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone,
2 questions...

1)
The linux servers around me reject ssh v1 protocol by default, only
seem to accept v2. The version commonly available in plan9 seems to be
v1. As long as I connect to my own machine, where I allowed v1
connection, no problem. But is there any working v2 client?

I found some v2 client under contrib/john, which I compiled
successfuly in plan9 (but failed in 9vx...). I can connect with this
to my linux box, however, I somehow cannot connect to other (for me
more important) computers. Either I see really nothing to happen, or I
see 'connect 0' and that's all. Further, this ssh2 doesn't feature the
'-r' option, which I use to not see 'cr's when connected.

2)
More generally:
I use a powerful linux machine for doing some havier calculations. I
have no possibility of changing anything serious on that computer
(like that it could serve ssh v1), I am just an ordinary user. So far
I usually do the programming on my 'local' linux computer using p9p
versions of acme & rc (sometimes the linux's gvim), run some small
manageable tests on this local computer, then make a copy to the
remote machine, recompile it there (fortran) using a textual ssh
connection, and finally run it there. This brings along a /number of
complications... It'd be nicer if I could use the remote linux machine
in a way a plan9 cpu server is used. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Ruda