* Re: [9fans] plan9port acme can't load dump file with shell output of "9p read plumb/rules"?
@ 2009-06-09  3:19 Jason Catena
From: Jason Catena @ 2009-06-09  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Applied fix locally, works like a champ.  Thanks!  Now I should
probably set up hg to get updates without patching it myself.

Jason Catena

* Re: [9fans] plan9port acme can't load dump file with shell output of "9p read plumb/rules"?
@ 2009-06-09  4:46 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-06-09  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Jason Catena<jason.catena@gmail.com> wrote:
> Applied fix locally, works like a champ.  Thanks!  Now I should
> probably set up hg to get updates without patching it myself.

If you downloaded the archive and extracted it,
you can always use "cvs up -dAP" instead of hg.
I keep the two in sync and the archive is a tar
of a nightly cvs checkout.  9 man cvs

Russ

* Re: [9fans] plan9port acme can't load dump file with shell output of "9p read plumb/rules"?
@ 2009-06-09  5:18   ` Jason Catena
From: Jason Catena @ 2009-06-09  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 23:46, Russ Cox<rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Jason Catena<jason.catena@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Applied fix locally, works like a champ.  Thanks!  Now I should
>> probably set up hg to get updates without patching it myself.
>
> If you downloaded the archive and extracted it,
> you can always use "cvs up -dAP" instead of hg.
> I keep the two in sync and the archive is a tar
> of a nightly cvs checkout.  9 man cvs

Thanks, but already cloned with hg, compiled, and verified it doesn't fail.

Actually prefer a more advanced VC tool.  I'm a big SCM geek, used
ClearCase for past 15 years. Out of curiosity, why Mercurial over Git?
 Don't know either well enough to judge.

Jason Catena

* Re: [9fans] plan9port acme can't load dump file with shell output of "9p read plumb/rules"?
@ 2009-06-09  5:34     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-06-09  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Thanks, but already cloned with hg, compiled, and verified it doesn't fail.
>
> Actually prefer a more advanced VC tool.  I'm a big SCM geek, used
> ClearCase for past 15 years. Out of curiosity, why Mercurial over Git?
>  Don't know either well enough to judge.

A few years ago, when I made the decision, Git was the
version control system for people who wanted to micromanage
a version control system, and Mercurial was the one for
people who wanted to get work done instead.

To all the people who are going to reply saying Git is just
as easy to use as Mercurial: my understanding is that Git
has gotten to be about as easy to use as Mercurial,
but I've already got a system that works.  Thanks.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] plan9port acme can't load dump file with shell output of "9p read plumb/rules"?
@ 2009-06-08 23:52 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-06-08 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Fixed.
http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/plan9/rev/fb3ce7f4b2d1

Russ

* [9fans] plan9port acme can't load dump file with shell output of "9p read plumb/rules"?
@ 2009-06-08 22:59 Jason Catena
From: Jason Catena @ 2009-06-08 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

plan9port acme calls it a "bad load file" when I try to load a dump
file in which a shell window contains the output of "9p read
plumb/rules".  Specifically, the error message refers to the line in
the dump file just before a "data matches" line containing one of the
complicated regular expressions with special characters ("i- ") in the
basic rules.

Are there certain characters which acme does not expect to see in the
load file, and fails when it does see them?  Or is there a similar
problem with what's okay to print when reconstructing an +Errors
window (this seems farther-fetched)?  The plumb/basic file itself
comes back fine, probably because its content doesn't go through the
dump-file parser.

I can work around it easily enough, by clearing any buffer in which
I've output the read command before I dump.  I also tried to manually
edit the dump file, which only works if I delete the "bad" +Errors
window's tag and all windows and tags after it.

If this is a known problem, or you would like a bug report, would
someone kindly direct me to (its record in) the appropriate
bug-tracking system?

Jason Catena