* [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-09 18:49 Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati
From: Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati @ 2009-06-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Interesting read:
http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2009/6/28495-whither-sockets/fulltext

If I am right, the filesystem based networking interface offered by Plan 9
has the three limitations discussed here:
* performance overhead: app requesting data from a socket typically needs
to perform 2 system calls (select/read or alt/read)
* lack of an "kernel up-call API": which allows the kernel to inform an
app each time network data is available
* hard to implement "multi homing" with support for multiple network
interfaces

Any thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
-Bhanu

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-09 18:59 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-09 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Jun  9 14:50:58 EDT 2009, bpisupat@cs.indiana.edu wrote:
> Interesting read:
> http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2009/6/28495-whither-sockets/fulltext
>
> If I am right, the filesystem based networking interface offered by Plan 9
> has the three limitations discussed here:
> * performance overhead: app requesting data from a socket typically needs
> to perform 2 system calls (select/read or alt/read)

alt — which is not required — is not a system call.  only a read or write is
required.

> * lack of an "kernel up-call API": which allows the kernel to inform an
> app each time network data is available

plan 9 uses synchronous i/o, so this statement doesn't make sense
in plan 9.  you can use threads to do i/o asynch w.r.t. your application,
but the i/o itself is still synchronous w.r.t. the kernel.

> * hard to implement "multi homing" with support for multiple network
> interfaces

i have no idea how this relates to the use of a fs in implementing the
network stack.  why would using a filsystem (or not) make any difference
in the ability to multihome?

by the way, plan 9 beats the pants off anything else i've used for multiple
network / interface support.  it's support for mulitple ip stacks is quite
neat.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-09 22:11 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-06-09 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> * performance overhead: app requesting data from a socket typically needs to
> perform 2 system calls (select/read or alt/read) * lack of an "kernel
> up-call API": which allows the kernel to inform an app each time network
> data is available

there is a mechanism.
user programs call read(2).
when data is available,
the read finishes.

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
       [not found] <mailman.1.1244808001.26495.9fans@9fans.net>
@ 2009-06-13  1:39 ` Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati
From: Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati @ 2009-06-13  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>do you have a comparison to other similar projects like
>1. styx on a brick
>	http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/rcx_paper.html
>2. 9p for imbedded devices
>	http://iwp9.inf.uth.gr/iwp9_proceedings08.pdf
>
>and or other information on your work?  in particular,
>what hardware are you using?

The "Styx on a Brick" paper was a definition inspiration for my work. I
have acknowledged as much in my publications.

I completed my PhD in '07 before the "embedFS" filesystem paper from IW9P
came out last year, and I have not done a formal comparison per se. But
reading through the text, I do see similarities in some of our ideas,
such as having one outstanding messag, of read/read message
size, using 9P (rather than 9p2000) etc.

The IW9P paper does not give size numbers, but the basic 9P filesystem in
my implementation was about 15KB in size when implemented on a 32-bit RISC
processor named Nios (an embedded processor from Altera).

Most of my work was done using the Nios embedded FPGA environment from
Altera. For more information:
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/techreports/TRNNN.cgi?trnum=TR647
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/pub/techreports/TR647.html/embed.html

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-12  7:21         ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-06-12  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> s/could be/is/
>
> From real world product experience across multiple operating systems
> and architectures.

So there is at least one example to support the case for callbacks. I am
pretty convinced there are many more examples.

--On Thursday, June 11, 2009 19:34 -0400 "Devon H. O'Dell"

@ 2009-06-12  7:19         ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-06-12  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> just to correct a basic fact, the size of the instruction set doesn't
> define RISC instruction set (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC
> "instruction set size").

Heh. I did refer to exactly that article and consequently inserted "adding
to the complexity of each primitive" as well as the modifier "strictly."

> can you cite any references that claim that the size of intel's
> instruction set has contributed to its success?

Try the Wikipedia article on CISC which really isn't a source, I admit. The
general impression is that not only the total number, and diversity, of the
instruction set but how much is done using a single instruction from the
viewpoint of a programmer/compiler have a role there. How a CISC
instruction set is implemented is besides this point. Some translation may
take place in the process but it doesn't matter as long as it is
transparent to the programmer/compiler.

> could it be that since transistors are very cheep, adding instructions is
> simply the cheapest go-faster trick?

Could be exactly that and further confirm my stance that added complexity,
when it is carefully hidden and is exposed to the middle user only as a
variety of orthogonal options, does not result in a bad system. In can
actually result in a better system. I'm, of course, not claiming that the
x86 instruction set represents an epitome of orthogonality or good design.

> what is a middle user?  and why would such a person be
> discouraged by having to learn fewer things?  does the myriad
> of different ways to write an if statement in perl make it more
> useable?  readable?

A middle user is someone who uses your product to create another product
for an end user who very often doesn't create product on their own,
although that may not be the case. A programmer who uses the language and
compiler you designed, or the OS you created, or the API you developed.
Having to learn fewer things is not discouraging, lack of expressiveness
due to lack of options can be. In case of Perl its popularity establishes
its merit for the area in which it is popular. Besides, we aren't talking
about if redundancy makes a system more expressive (it could but we aren't
talking about that), we are rather talking about addition of options that
are orthogonal to existing ones: options that have no equivalent.

A callback infrastructure can be created in user land using threading but
that would have two disadvantages: the very point of lowering initial cost
using callback strategy is made moot, and people will tend to disagree on
how that extra infrastructure should look like so a variety of
incompatible, highly redundant implementations will pop up.

> i don't see how progress == complicated.  could you explain
> how they are one and the same?
>
> as a counter example, unix uses untyped files.  not only does
> lack of typing make the system simplier, it makes it more expressive
> as well.

I don't see how complex == complicated. You could have a very sophisticated
system at hand that is rather easy to program. Increasing adaptivity
through increased complexity is one well-known evolutionary path. The other
well-known path is increasing resilience through decreased complexity.
There is a point where resilience and adaptivity are just at the balance
you desire for your audience. Making clear who your audience is should
clear this problem as well.

Regarding your example I believe you are mixing redundancy with choice.
While I could even argue for some redundancy I'm not trying to do so. File
typing, as seen on Apple systems, is not orthogonal to other features
already present in those systems; it is redundant. Windows does not have
any file typing similar to Apple's. UNIX-like systems do make some
distinctions between files which have become rather blurry with time. I
brought up the the subject in my awkward manner some time ago when caching
9P was being discussed on the list. It seemed to me that a form of typing
that expressed at a reasonable level of detail the amenability of files to
various caching strategies could have improved the situation of 9P caching.

> i don't see how a wage-earning programmer can't be a researcher as well.
> and being a wage-earning programmer, i appreciate simplicity and use
> it to advantage on a daily basis.

The vast majority of them aren't. That's a fact of life. You appreciate
simplicity because you happen to work on a specific application for which
your target system's API is exceptionally well-rounded. Try designing a
complex UI for some CAD software and tell me how amenable your simple
system is to that purpose. The platforms targeted for, say, creating the
frontend to a CAD system are not chosen by luck really. They have been made
suitable by designers to that and other purposes. Adding of orthogonal
options, when done wisely, should not take away or negatively affect the
core primitives you use and are content with.

> several times, i've needed to get a particular bit of h/w working.
> given a choice, i go with the one with the thinner manual.

I bet a 8051's manual is thinner that a 80x86's. Does that mean the 8051
will be your platform of choice when it absolutely does not cut the task? I
think it's somebody's motto: simple enough, but no(t) simpler.

--On Thursday, June 11, 2009 19:41 -0400 erik quanstrom

@ 2009-06-12  4:32         ` Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2009-06-12  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-11 23:41       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-11 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found]     ` <D9FE8C51EE2D568C05E555DD@192.168.1.2>
@ 2009-06-11 23:34       ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-06-11 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-06-11 21:21     ` Eris Discordia
       [not found]     ` <D9FE8C51EE2D568C05E555DD@192.168.1.2>
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-06-11 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> but given that plan 9 is about having a system that's easy
> to understand and modify, i would think that it would be
> tough to demonstrate that asyncronous i/o or callbacks
> could make the system (or even applications) simplier.
> i doubt that they would make the system more efficient,
> either.
>
> do you have examples that demonstrate either?

I can't claim I have anything in code which would be necessary for an
actual demonstration or for going beyond the "talk talk talk" stage. I can,
however, present one simple case: in some applications asynchronous name
resolving is a must and it can be realized by either of threads or
callbacks. Crawlers and scanners come to mind. Spawning threads for DNS
requests could be more costly than registering a set of callbacks within
one thread and then harvesting the results within that same thread.

> one can build what's needed.  compare just r?fork and exec
> with all the spawn variants windows has.

The actual number of calls in CreateThread and CreateProcess family is
rather small. Most calls are wrappers for more basic calls but we don't
want to go into that.

> i think you're trying to argue that — a priori — choice is good?

I believe it is. How many of us are using strictly RISC machines on our
desks today? Extending the set of available primitives and adding to the
complexity of each primitive both are natural steps in the development of
computer systems as they see more use. Limiting options doesn't seem to me
to be an effective way of encouraging good programming practice. It can,
however, successfully discourage potential middle users.

> that's not the position i subscribe to.  and since plan 9
> is simple and easy to change, it makes an ideal system
> for someone who wants to try new things.

And after the new things are tried out and, one may hope, proven
advantageous? I think the next step would be incorporating them into the
system. A process that in due time will make the system less simple and
easy to change but more immediately useful.

I see this more as a difference of intended audience than a difference of
taste or philosophy. The real question is whom you imagine as your system's
middle user: a wage-earning programmer or a researcher. Were I a programmer
who worked for pay I'd very much appreciate being given every possible
option that would let me do my job easier, faster, and, of course, more
properly.

--On Thursday, June 11, 2009 14:24 -0400 erik quanstrom

@ 2009-06-11 18:24   ` erik quanstrom
       [not found]     ` <D9FE8C51EE2D568C05E555DD@192.168.1.2>
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-11 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] <b0a72b5826eb44300d3603f585859910@quanstro.net>
@ 2009-06-11 14:54 ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-06-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> the signal context is the original calling thread.  unless
> ms' diagram is incorrect, this is a single threaded operation;
> only the i/o originator can process the event.  so the plan 9

Of course it is single-threaded operation. That's the very idea behind
using callbacks. Originally they were used to allow applications to do
asynchronous I/O on earlier Windows incarnations that had no concept of
threading. When threading became available it was correctly considered
hazardous, as with any other form of concurrency, so it was and is avoided
unless absolutely necessary. Callbacks survived the introduction of
threading.

There are actually three thinkable options here: read-and-wait
(synchronous), subscribe-and-continue (asynchronous using callback), and
continue-until-notified (asynchronous using message queue). My point was
that as of some time ago, more than a decade I believe, Windows began
offering all three options which may be used on their own or in tandem. The
three options can be sorted in order of increasing initial cost: callback,
message queue, thread (and/or "lightweight process"). Average cost reverses
that ordering. The application determines which strategy is better.

On the subject of who gets to process a certain event on Windows it should
be noted that any process/thread that subscribes for an event will be
notified, if an opportunity for subscription is provided in the first
place. In case of a read other processes/threads have no notion that a
specific read has been requested and they will never want to process the
results of a read they haven't requested. Interface and other events that
may concern more than one process/thread, on the other hand, can be
processed by any worker that opts to process them. A chain of handlers with
varying priorities is very easy to construct within this framework.

> there's plenty of overlapped i/o in plan 9 — it's in the
> disk and network device drivers.  even stripping away
> the register fiddling, it's not an i/o model that's attractive;
> that's the reason all the details are hidden in the kernel.

I might as well repeat myself: choice of strategy depends on the
application. Given choice programmers can decide on which strategy or
combination of strategies works best. Without choice, well, they will just
live with what's available. It is common with Windows programmers to use a
combination of threading, callbacks, and synchronous I/O that best
represents the application's workings. GUI is often run in its own thread
which is made to wait only on I/O that crucially affects future
interactions, e.g. a user "Open File" request. Processing of sporadic
network events, e.g. reports from a network resource, is done in auxiliary
message queues. Light network operations are delegated to a single thread
that uses callbacks. Only heavy network operations are aggressively
threaded.

Most notable here is the fact that allowing for various compatible options
to grow within the same system can only enrich it while insisting on "The
One Right Way" always leaves open the question of whether a different
choice of strategy on the same platform, were a different choice available,
would have yielded better results.

> are you saying the author(s) had their windows blinders on
> and might not have considered other options?

I believe at this point it is clear that all thinkable options are
available on the platform you refer to as (horse) "blinders" but that
really isn't important. The author(s) had criticized a specific I/O model
without mentioning, or probably even knowing, that alternatives existed and
could be profiled for tangible, definitive results. I merely pointed that
out.

--On Thursday, June 11, 2009 08:16 -0400 erik quanstrom

@ 2009-06-11 12:34   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-11 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-06-11 12:16 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-11 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eris.discordia, 9fans

@ 2009-06-11  7:07     ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2009-06-11  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i don't think i understand what you're getting at.
> it could be that the blog was getting at the fact that select
> funnels a bunch of independent i/o down to one process.
> it's an effective technique when (a) threads are not available
> and (b) processing is very fast.

This might help: what he is getting at is probably the question of why not
make possible network applications that consist of a bunch of callbacks or
a mix of callbacks and listener/worker threads. Windows implements both
synchronous and asynchronous I/O. Threads are available. Callbacks, too, as
well as message queues. Ideally, it is the programmer's informed choice
based on their understanding of their application's priorities whether to
use callbacks, listener/worker threads, message queues, or a combination.
Someone may find it worth the effort to compare these approaches on a
platform that provides both. (COM is notorious for implementing things
through callback that get some wrapping of one's head around them before
making sense.)

--On Tuesday, June 09, 2009 20:07 -0400 erik quanstrom

       [not found] <mailman.1.1244635201.19660.9fans@9fans.net>
@ 2009-06-10 23:46 ` Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati
From: Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati @ 2009-06-10 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> perhaps you think this is doging the question, but the cannonical
> plan 9 approach to this is to note that it's easy (trivial) to have a n
> reader threads and m worker threads s.t. i/o threads don't block

I'll agree. With multi threading the network read/write operations
could be pipelined to minimize the overhead.

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
       [not found] <mailman.1007.1244590421.1513.9fans@9fans.net>
@ 2009-06-10 22:50 ` Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati
From: Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati @ 2009-06-10 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-06-10  3:33     ` Gary Wright
From: Gary Wright @ 2009-06-10  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jun 9, 2009, at 7:33 PM, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> I think you mean `networks with multiple gateways'? I don't see how
> Plan 9's model would affect this idea one way or the other, but
> perhaps I (or all of us) misunderstand this part of your questions.

Based on scanning the original article, I think the question was how
Plan 9 could support protocols such as: SCTP (Stream Control
Transport Protocol. In SCTP a communication endpoint is represented by
more than one IP address.

Gary Wright

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-10  0:34     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-10  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i don't think i understand what you're getting at.
> it could be that the blog was getting at the fact that select
> funnels a bunch of independent i/o down to one process.
> it's an effective technique when (a) threads are not available
> and (b) processing is very fast.

ack.  but, you can select on the same fd in many processes.
select usage is so idiomatic that this use is easy to forget,
though i've written programs that take advantage of this myself.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-10  0:07   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-10  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-06-09 23:33   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-06-09 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> i have no idea how this relates to the use of a fs in implementing the
>> network stack.  why would using a filsystem (or not) make any difference
>> in the ability to multihome?
>>
>> by the way, plan 9 beats the pants off anything else i've used for
>> multiple
>> network / interface support.  it's support for mulitple ip stacks is quite
>> neat.
>
> The question was meant to ask as to how easy it is to programmatically use
> the filesystem interface in a multi home network. But I agree that support
> for multiple network interfaces in Plan9 is way superior.

I think you mean `networks with multiple gateways'? I don't see how
Plan 9's model would affect this idea one way or the other, but
perhaps I (or all of us) misunderstand this part of your questions.

--me

* Re: [9fans] critique of sockets API
@ 2009-06-09 23:24   ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-06-09 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] <mailman.998.1244574121.1513.9fans@9fans.net>
@ 2009-06-09 23:20 ` Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bhanu Nagendra Pisupati @ 2009-06-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

First off, I really am a big fan of filesystem interfaces as used in Plan
9 - after all my PhD work was based on the model :)
My objective here is to debate and understand how the points made in the
paper relate to the Plan9 networking model.

>> * performance overhead: app requesting data from a socket typically
>> needs to perform 2 system calls (select/read or alt/read)
>
> alt ? which is not required ? is not a system call.  only a read or write is
> required.

Well, select() or alt might or might not be required depending on whether
you want your thread to wait till the read operation waiting
for data from the network completes. You may argue that since threads are