* [9fans] bison problem, not plan9 related
@ 2009-10-21 17:52 Rudolf Sykora
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-10-21 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,
sorry for an off-topic thing. But I guess somebody here could help me...
I have a problem with bison grammer

Having

%token	ATOM
%left	'+'
%left	REP

and a grammar:

block:	  ATOM
	| REP block
	| block '+' block
;

is ok. Having another grammer:

block:	  ATOM
	| REP block
	| block block %prec '+'
;

has 2 shift/reduce conflicts, similar to
state 7

    5 block: REP block .
    6      | block . block

    ATOM  shift, and go to state 3

    ATOM      [reduce using rule 5 (block)]
    $default  reduce using rule 5 (block)

    block  go to state 9

or
state 9

    6 block: block . block
    6      | block block .

    ATOM  shift, and go to state 3
    REP   shift, and go to state 4

    ATOM      [reduce using rule 6 (block)]
    $default  reduce using rule 6 (block)

    block  go to state 9

What I want is to have a parser that can read e.g. (the spaces are
left out by lex, they are not in what bison sees; I only write them
here for better readability)
12 Au 13 Cu 2 Ag
the former grammer (REP is for repetition) is able to read
12 Au + 13 Cu + 2 Ag
but I don't like those pluses, which are redundant.

Also important: I have those 'block' non-terminals there, since I want
to add another rule
block: '[' block ']'
so that I can use brackets and can parse things like
12 [ 2 Cu 3 Co]

Could anyone explain to me what goes wrong?
I can't figure it out...

Thanks a lot
Ruda

PS.: the grammer is actually identical to a grammer that can evaluate
expressions with +, *, and brackets, with usual operator precedence.