* plan9port, drawterm cvs deprecated - use mercurial
@ 2009-12-08 20:10 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-12-08 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you're using CVS to get plan9port or drawterm,
it's time to switch to Mercurial.
http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/hg.html

More detail follows, for those who care.

In November 2007 I added support for fetching
Plan 9 from User Space via Mercurial instead
of CVS.  For the past two years I've been keeping
both repositories in sync, but I am no longer able
to do so--the chewing gum and duct tape holding
them together has broken yet again and I am not
going to bother trying to fix it.  I have changed the
copy of INSTALL in the CVS repository to point
at the Mercurial instructions, and I will leave the
CVS repository alone for at least a few months before
deleting it.  The drawterm situation is the same,
although there the Mercurial repository is a more
recent arrival.

If you need to install Mercurial, I've found that
"sudo easy_install mercurial" works on both
Linux and OS X and installs a newer version
than apt-get does on Ubuntu.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Russ

P.S. If you are already using Mercurial for plan9port,
please check your $PLAN9/.hg/hgrc file and
make sure the "default =" line reads

default = http://code.swtch.com/plan9port/

If you were an early Mercurial adopter, you might
instead have a line like

default = http://hg.pdos.csail.mit.edu/hg/plan9/   # NOT THIS

If so, edit the file to make it use the first URL.