* [9fans] TeX for Plan 9: a point
@ 2009-12-22 13:00 tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2009-12-22 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

Note (inessential at the moment): the result will be called KerTeX and
not CorTeX since there is a package (one file...) called CorTeX on CTAN.
But KerTeX: take care of the TeX kernel! will do...

Unless one really really wants to port the current TeX distribution
state, just wait: I'm sure now that I will be able to make the job.

If you are only using packages of macros, you should be able to use them
(``dumping'' a format) with the result.

If you are using a WEB program derived from TeX (and that I don't plan
to support), the conversion tools provided by KerTeX should ease a lot
the task.

Next news about this topic for test in January 2010 (end). This will be
my "Happy new year" to the "bazaar" model...

Cheers,
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
                 http://www.kergis.com/

* Re: [9fans] TeX for Plan 9: a point
@ 2009-12-22 16:44 ` Jorden Mauro
From: Jorden Mauro @ 2009-12-22 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 8:00 AM,  <tlaronde@polynum.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Note (inessential at the moment): the result will be called KerTeX and
> not CorTeX since there is a package (one file...) called CorTeX on CTAN.
> But KerTeX: take care of the TeX kernel! will do...
>
> Unless one really really wants to port the current TeX distribution
> state, just wait: I'm sure now that I will be able to make the job.
>
> If you are only using packages of macros, you should be able to use them
> (``dumping'' a format) with the result.
>
> If you are using a WEB program derived from TeX (and that I don't plan
> to support), the conversion tools provided by KerTeX should ease a lot
> the task.

I know you don't plan on supporting LaTeX, but would any of these
tools help in porting that? Or is the latex program too GNUified?

@ 2009-12-22 16:52 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-12-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I understand wanting to update TeX, but this
seems like a step backward.  The current
texmf iso, though old, provides LaTeX and most
of the common formatting packages.  It seems
like this bare-bones version would be less
functional than what's already available.
In particular, I expect that most of the people
who need TeX need it because its use is being
externally imposed on them, and those cases
are almost always LaTeX, not TeX.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] TeX for Plan 9: a point
@ 2009-12-22 17:11   ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2009-12-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 11:44:14AM -0500, Jorden Mauro wrote:

> I know you don't plan on supporting LaTeX, but would any of these
> tools help in porting that? Or is the latex program too GNUified?

As far as I know, LaTeX is not supposed to be a TeX version, but a set
of macros. So, as long as there are running TeX and METAFONT, one could
use LaTeX.

I seem to recall that ron (?) mentionned a: pdflatex, or something like
that.

Since the conversion: dvi -> ps will be provided, ps -> pdf can be done
via gs(1). (That's what I already do, including EPS figures, for example
generated by MetaPost.)

Now, if they have changed so many things that LaTeX needs to change TeX
or METAFONT... (One should compare the initial change file with the
current ones; I would be very surprised if D. E. Knuth would be happy
of the current state.)

If what I'm doing is not usefull to others, well: I don't care. At least
for me, I will be free from anybody; I will depend only on my own
stuff "maintenable" (holding in my hand).

At the present time, teTeX is orphaned, and there seems to be only
TeXlive to download as a huge iso. This is simply crazy!
--

@ 2009-12-22 17:14     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-12-22 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Since the conversion: dvi -> ps will be provided, ps -> pdf can be done
> via gs(1). (That's what I already do, including EPS figures, for example
> generated by MetaPost.)

you'll have to fix gs to get that.  gs has been crashing
here.  i have to bind gs from the dump to print pdf.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] TeX for Plan 9: a point
@ 2009-12-22 17:33       ` tlaronde
From: tlaronde @ 2009-12-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:14:56PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > Since the conversion: dvi -> ps will be provided, ps -> pdf can be done
> > via gs(1). (That's what I already do, including EPS figures, for example
> > generated by MetaPost.)
>
> you'll have to fix gs to get that.  gs has been crashing
> here.  i have to bind gs from the dump to print pdf.

Mind you, I have already cleaned the Augean stables of GRASS. I'm
currently (part time with some more involved stuff) cleaning the Augean
stables of the distribution of TeX, so...