From: Ben <cellctl@lycos.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] The "i" browser
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:00:56 +0000	[thread overview]

howard@research.bell-labs.com (Howard Trickey) wrote in message news:<004201c22f4b$6b5aca40$bf356887@bl.belllabs.com>...
> I did a port of the inferno browser (charon) to
> plan 9, and called it "i".  Unfortunately, other
> obligations have prevented me from getting all
> of the bugs out.
>
> Does anyone out there want to take up the guantlet
> and finish the job?  I put the sources in
> the public source tree, under contrib/i , and
> would be happy to correspond with, and lightly
> collaborate with, anyone willing to solidify the port.
>
> The current state is that it often works, but
> there is some kind of bug in the table layout code
> (and doubtless, other bugs).  And perhaps the biggest
> problem, for a modern browser, is that it doesn't
> do javascript at all.  The port was done before
> Javascript support got added to charon.
>
> - Howard Trickey
> howard@research.bell-labs.com

I'm very interested.  I've you've read any of my other posts, you'll
have noticed that I'm looking for a good browser under Plan 9.
Unfortunately, I can't access the public source tree, as I can't dial
out (for now).  (Any latest development on the Lucent WinModem
drivers?)  Anyway, would you be so kind as to e-mail me a copy of the
sources?  Thanks much!

Ben

Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@bath.ac.uk