* [9fans] Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-19 14:28 Vladimir Giszpenc
From: Vladimir Giszpenc @ 2006-07-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello language enthusiasts,

My background is that of a lowly consumer of languages, but I followed a
few links and here I am addressing you.  Plan 9 looks very interesting
on paper and I am sure in action as well.  I will further confess that I
have enjoyed such disparaged languages as C# and even VB.  My question
is as follows:

Why not have an intermediate language similar to MSIL but more suited to
your OS?  I have heard about the difference between stack based versus
register based architechtures, but I have not understood yet why that
stops you or some standards body from coming up with a set of language
primitives that permit other languages to be compiled to it.  The
compilers written for the actual languages would be very portable and
the compilers for the intermediate language would be simpler.

I personally don't have anything againg using the Mono or .Gnu stuff.  I
think the Mono stuff is more portable and more GUI oriented which I like
but I understand the fear of licensing issues.  When I see complaints
about C#, I think people miss the point that you can develop any
compiler targeting MSIL and you will have a portable language.  If
someone could either explain or refer me to an explanation of the
register versus stack based language problem as it applies to an
intermediate language, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Vlad

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 4518 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-19 17:49 ` Darren Bane
From: Darren Bane @ 2006-07-19 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 19/07/06, Vladimir Giszpenc <vgiszpenc@dsci-usa.com> wrote:

!snip!

> Why not have an intermediate language similar to MSIL but more suited to
> your OS?

There is such a beast if you want it (not everyone does).  Inferno (
http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/index.html ) runs programs for the
Dis virtual machine (
http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/papers/hotchips.html ).

!snip!

> If
> someone could either explain or refer me to an explanation of the
> register versus stack based language problem as it applies to an
> intermediate language, I would very much appreciate it.

This is very well described in the hotchips paper above.
--
Darren Bane

* [9fans] Re: Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-19 18:45   ` Zoltan Jarai
From: Zoltan Jarai @ 2006-07-19 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-07-19 19:17 ` "Nils O. Selåsdal"
From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" @ 2006-07-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Vladimir Giszpenc wrote:
> Hello language enthusiasts,
>
> My background is that of a lowly consumer of languages, but I followed a
> few links and here I am addressing you.  Plan 9 looks very interesting
> on paper and I am sure in action as well.  I will further confess that I
> have enjoyed such disparaged languages as C# and even VB.  My question
> is as follows:
>
> Why not have an intermediate language similar to MSIL but more suited to
> your OS?
Ask yourself rather Why ?

I have heard about the difference between stack based versus
> register based architechtures, but I have not understood yet why that
> stops you or some standards body from coming up with a set of language
> primitives that permit other languages to be compiled to it.  The
> compilers written for the actual languages would be very portable and
> the compilers for the intermediate language would be simpler.
> I personally don't have anything againg using the Mono or .Gnu stuff.  I
> think the Mono stuff is more portable and more GUI oriented which I like
Mono. Portable.
Hah ?
http://www.skyos.org/?q=node/464

* Re: [9fans] Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-19 19:21   ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-07-19 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:

> Mono. Portable.
> Hah ?

but I thought mono was portable from linux to linux?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-19 19:47     ` Chad Dougherty
From: Chad Dougherty @ 2006-07-19 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> but I thought mono was portable from linux to linux?

If true, I think that's actually quite an accomplishment at this point
in time.  ... a maze of twisty lunixes, none alike.

	-Chad

* Re: Re: [9fans] Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-19 20:58     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-07-19 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 7/19/06, Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov> wrote:
> Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:
>
> > Mono. Portable.
> > Hah ?
>
> but I thought mono was portable from linux to linux?
>
> ron

Well you can build stuff with mono on linux, and run it on Mac OS X
(to an extent) and Windows (to an extent).

Java works better than it does for that kind of stuff though still.

Someone is implementing Java in Mono to help people transition too.

Dave

* Re: Re: [9fans] Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-24 14:13       ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-07-24 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think you are confusing porting mono (virtual machine and all)
versus porting/not having
to port C# programs arent you?.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: Re: [9fans] Intermediate Language
@ 2006-07-24 14:14         ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-07-24 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I mean C# or any other language supported.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat