* [9fans] name that character set
@ 2005-01-06 20:01 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2005-01-06 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone know which character set the hex codes 0xc2 0x80
reprisent the UK currency symbol £?

I get these in emails with headers:

It cannot be unicode as that uses 0x00a3 and anyway the
remainder of the mesage is in what looks like ASCII.
I played with tcs(1) but couldn't get a sensible
translation.

Where do I look?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] name that character set
@ 2005-01-06 20:13 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-01-06 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it doesn't look like such thing exists...

here's what i did in unix:

mirtchov@fbsd$ iconv --list | sed 's/..$//' > iconv
mirtchov@fbsd$ unicode 0xc2 > test
mirtchov@fbsd$ unicode 0x80 >> test
mirtchov@fbsd$ for i in `cat iconv`; do echo -n "$i "; iconv -f $i -t UTF8 test; done | grep £

and got no matches. i may have botched something too :)

* Re: [9fans] name that character set
@ 2005-01-06 20:41   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-01-06 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

from:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Index.txt

SMALL CAPITAL R, LATIN LETTER	0280

try:

    sterling, pound	00A3

* Re: [9fans] name that character set
@ 2005-01-06 21:03 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-01-06 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

0xc2 0x80 is the utf encoding of Runeerror.
some plan9 tool has parsed whatever used to
be there as utf, but since it was invalid utf,
the tool replaced it with Runeerror.  try looking
at the raw mbox file, using /mail/fs/mbox/1/raw
or not using upas/fs at all.

russ

@ 2005-01-06 21:34   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2005-01-06 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

We should do a global substitution of 0xFFFD for Runeerror.
0xFFFD is now the standard value representing an encoding
error.

-rob