* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 20:48 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There is (intentionally) no way to put images
on the wiki.  The reason I didn't use one of the
common wiki packages was I wanted something
that could be easily edited and viewed both on
the web and in Plan 9 (meaning acme, as it turned
out), so it's only text.  That's the reason the
markup is so simple -- acme users see exactly
what the HTML edit box shows.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-24 18:14 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-24 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The source is in /sys/src/cmd/wikifs.
Have fun.

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 20:17 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if this is a particularly old computer,
perhaps it would work better to use

	disk/format -b /386/pbs /dev/sdC0/9fat

i was thinking that maybe your plan 9
partition was too far into the disk, but
it's the only thing on the disk, so that's
not it.

russ

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 19:20 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That's useful.  Try booting from your floppy,
then at a shell prompt type

	disk/format -b /386/pbslba /dev/sdC0/9fat

It won't actually format your disk, just install
a new boot sector.  (Make sure you include the
-b flag.)  I'd be interested in the output of

	cat /dev/sdC0/ctl

by the way.

Thanks.
Russ
'

* Re: [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 18:50 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-23 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can you send all the output that gets printed
when you try to boot from the hard drive?

* [9fans] Boot Error (more)
@ 2002-05-23 18:48 Mark Bitting
From: Mark Bitting @ 2002-05-23 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I reentered the installation procedure, and made a boot floppy.  Everything
boots fine from the floppy, but booting from the hard drive still fails with
the I/O error.  Any ideas on how to fix it, or should I just keep the floppy
in all the time?